no song

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aussieheelr, Sep 20, 2009.

1. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I've been getting an egg a day from our Minorca pullet! However she doesn't sing. [​IMG] I'd been looking forward to the song dearly. One day I heard what I thought was the song but it was just my BO being a goof [​IMG]
    I watched my little M.J. lay her egg on day #4 and she just squatted in the box like she was, ehem, constepaited and there it came warm and perfect. But not a peep.
    Anyone else have a quiet layer?

2. goldielocks

goldielocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Yes i have some quiet layers...THANK GOODNESS. Some of my girls could wake the dead [​IMG] They go...Bawk Bawk Bawk Bawk...LOOK OUT. I have one that walks around in the hen house for an hour singing (screaming) the egg song until she fianally gets in the nest box.

I do remember waiting to hear that egg song, its exciting...and kinda cute.

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Sometimes my hens don't sing the egg song. But when they do it is really loud!!!!

4. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Of my 5, I have 3 Stealth Layers - not a peep when they lay.
    Surprising to me is that one of these is my Houdan - who walks around honking & giving us the weather report pretty much the rest of the day.

Then there's the others.....
    "Song" doesn't really describe the noise - it's more like "Shriek"

The first time I heard it I ran out to the coop, certain someone was being murdered.

5. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    When we got our first egg, "ol Bossy" just cackled all day long, and the others were all around her, she'd cackle, and our roo would bark, apparently she was telling everyone she just did'nt feel right, but she went to the nesting box just like a pro! So far, we have two from her, I expect one today, and the others are a week 'er two out,,,

6. lilmouthy

lilmouthy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Alabama
    My Cornish X doesn't make a sound either. My one hen as been coming up onto my porch and under my rocker to lay almost every day now,and she NEVER makes a sound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by