"No such thing" as Freedom Rangers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
They are now sold by several hatcheries. They just don't call them Freedom Rangers.

Which further illustrates my point.
big_smile.png

Even JM called them something else (Colored Rangers) for a time. While they did, then there WAS no such thing as a Freedom Ranger.

And as an aside, most feed chains I'm aware of generally have a single hatchery that they deal with. They don't order whatever from where ever, so even if the guy had heard of FRs, it is unlikely they would have ordered any, because it is doubtful they deal with JM.

Last edited:
Quote:
You smell no such thing. The point I'm trying to make is it isn't fair to judge some clerk because he has never heard of some brand name (which is all this is) for a relatively minor chicken hybrid from a relatively small hatchery. The guy could know his breeds, but just because he has never heard of a Freedom Ranger sold by a single hatchery in the United States doesn't make him a complete moron, as some in this thread have implied. Apparently, some here didn't even know it was a hybrid. On the other hand, the Cornish Rock Cross is probably the most numerous bird on the planet, certainly by far the most popular meat bird, even on here.

And I say this as someone who has actually raised Freedom Rangers. Even know their history. I like them okay, but would never expect anyone outside of a few meat bird raisers to have ever heard of them. Try popping into a bird show (those people KNOW their chickens) or a poultry auction and see if anyone has even heard of the things.

PS: I had to google Red Star. I hope I can be forgiven, as it is also just a brand name for a particular sex-link sold by a particular hatchery .
wink.png

Yes, you are correct, it is also "just" a brand name. I think you completely missed the what upset the OP in the first place: Not the clerk's lack of knowledge, but his attitude. People can be forgiven easily for not knowing everything there is to know, but to turn around and act like the person asking is a moron, this is unacceptable behavior. At least to me.

Quote:
Actually, I think that is the larger issue here, his treatment of women, not whether or not he knows his chickens.

BINGO! You finally picked up on it!

Quote:
Actually, I think that is the larger issue here, his treatment of women, not whether or not he knows his chickens.

Well, no, actually I picked up on it right from the gitgo. It was the other part of the discussion I took issue with, namely, the implication he should know what an FR is. Fact is, even most chicken folk don't know what they are, because they are just a brand name for a particular hybrid. Maybe it was this line in the OP that got me started off in that direction...

"Why is it that he wouldn't know what a Freedom Ranger was and then adamantly denied that anything like that could exist? Am I missing something? Do they go by other names? Is it a patented name like "Kleenex" is to facial tissues?"

That's like faulting someone for never having heard of a generic brand of ketchup.

Quote:

We men get similar treatment from women when it comes to child care or cooking a meal or cleaning a home, or even shoping
idunno.gif
They see us as clueless . ( like my mother, my mother in law, my wife, the lady next door, the female saleslady at the clothing and kitchenware dept. , etc.)
ep.gif
We just don't get an attitude about it. I learned early on not to. Women are from Venus, men are from Mars.
roll.png

I have this issue when I go to ag shows with my hubby. Even if I ask a question they answer it while looking at him....

This clerk sounds like my brother, if he doesn't know what it is then it must not exist and Sister is a idiot. If I had been approached about this breed I would have said I am unfamilar with it and it is not sold at the hatchery we used. Now what would be wrong with that answer?

Quote:
Well, we haven't heard the clerk's side of the story yet. I think it is unfair to bash him on a public forum when he doesn't have the opportunity to defend himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom