NO tail feathers....

QueenChick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
I have 9 'little girls' that will be 8 weeks old the end of this week. Five of the 9 we incubated and hatched out from our 'yard' girls. Three of those 5 I 'helped' hatch out but that is entirely another story altogether.......
Of those 3 that I hatched out I have one black 'little girl' who has NEVER had any tail feathers. You don't see a bare spot and she has feathers that go all the way back but she looks like a Kiwi bird. The feathers just go around her bum...none sticking up in the back like ALL the rest of them. Like I mentioned earlier, I helped her out of the shell and she was pretty well stuck....humidity issues....at first I thought maybe some were pulled out while helping her out and that they would just grow back but now she's almost 8 weeks old and still NOTHING!!
ANYONE have any ideas or suggestions as to why???
Other than that she seems like all the rest.
Thanks in advance for ANY ideas.
smile.png

Possibly, a photo would help, but some birds are VERY slow to grow their tails. I have barred rock cockerels that are about the same age and have no tails yet. They are also still missing a lot of feathers from their "sides."

Tanichca-I suppose anything is possible right?? The 'big girls', from which the eggs-now 8 week old chicks, were from aren't ours. We're 'chicken sitting' for some friends whose job took them out of state for a year. The one with no tail feathers was the ONLY black chick to hatch out. All the others were, and still are yellow and brown... One of the reasons I didn't think that would be is because my husband brought me an Ameraucana and 3 'Araucana' chicks that LOOKED to be the same age as my other 5...although, in looking at pictures one of the 'Araucana' chicks looked like a Black Australorp chick....anyways they ALL have, and always have had tail feathers....it's just weird....I guess sometimes it just happens???
SS- That was the other thing I was wondering.......if maybe 'she' is a 'he'?!?! I will try to get a good pick of him/her today and post......
Thanks SO MUCH for your help/suggestions ladies. I sure do appreciate you taking the time to respond.........
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom