No to the chickens, but.....

We live in the woods so the dogs get to run. Around. I have enough room/money for the bird cage. I sleep in a loft so the kids cant get up there. They aren't even at the house unless I am. For college I have someone who will gladly take them who lives near me. Or I'm planning to go to an online college for the first few years. I wake up early enough so taking care of 1 more animal wont do much harm to my schedule. I am familiar with parakeets and I have been around/have watched them be trained before.

But they need a lot of social interaction, which would be difficult if you’re at school most of the day.

But they need a lot of social interaction, which would be difficult if you’re at school most of the day.
I leave at 7:30 and I'm back at 3:30 once I get home the aninal chores are done, and i have alot of downtime so i can spend as much time needed with them.

That's 8 hours out of the day they'll have to be shut in a cage, without social interaction, unless you get multiple (and thereby increase your maintenance). And are you sure that person who'll take them is still going to be willing to take them in 6 years? What if they move before then, or don't have the money or time to properly care for them?
What about after college? Do you really want to be trying to move out and find a place that will let you bring at least one bird and have room for a proper enclosure for them? Not to mention their care and veterinary bills, and trying to support that on a fresh salary.

I'm sorry to be judgy, but just letting the dogs run loose in the backyard is not being a responsible dog owner. Dogs need socialization from you, just like a budgie would - and you already have 3 of them?
You sound like a good kid, but how many pets is going to be enough? Do you spend time with your mini-horse, mini donk and chickens everyday?

I know I know. Just posted a thread yesterday about training a bantam. But I just learned I have all the money of a budgie. I have a cage + all necessary accessories, the cost of annual feed+vegetables. And of course the budgie itself. But I dont know what my mom will say. I have the room. But I share my room with 2 young kids 3&6. I already have chickens, a mini horse, a mini donk, and 3 dogs. How can I possibly convince her?? (I'm 12 but I've taken responsibility with all of my animals and can take care of them swell)
You sound like me at 12. I used to ride my friends pinto pony, more than they did. Now, I am 60. I finally got my dream bird a couple of years ago. So, if I could talk to my 12 year-old self here is what I would say: "Get your OWN pet. One that you chose, for yourself. Not a family dog. Your first homes will be apartments. I wish I had gotten my African Grey parrot when I was your age, she was my dream bird then. I got my first bird, when I moved out at age 18. But, since I was listening to my friends who had birds, I got cockatiels. They were easier and that is true. I raised generations of cockatiels. But, my African Grey is so far above those cockatiels, and even dogs that I have owned, that I want to tell every young person to consider a lifelong friend like my Dylan." There are Parrots that are in rescue situations who would love the home that you could give them. Think about adopting a parrot like my Dylan. She was 23 when I got her, and she could easily live another 50 years. Young people need to adopt these birds! This is a personal conversation you need to have with your parents. No text. No computer intermediary crap. There are birds like my Dylan who need kids like you.

Last edited:
Your experience sounds great, but I don't think it's a good idea to encourage people who are 12 to adopt large parrots. Just like you wouldn't encourage them to adopt a toddler. That's a massive amount of responsibility and opportunity to screw up, that you're putting on someone who doesn't know yet what they want to do. What is someone going to do with a parrot when they go to college? When they move out at first and have a job that doesn't leave them with any extras to keep the parrot happy? What if they find out that they don't actually want to have a parrot for their entire life? I wanted to be an archaeologist when I was 12, and I very much don't now. Most of those parrots are in rescue situations because they were formerly owned by people who weren't prepared to give them what they needed, and no child is prepared for one. Especially not when it's a rescue bird that may have preexisting issues that would be hard for an adult to manage. People who own these birds rearrange their whole life around keeping it happy, and can still struggle, and I don't think that's something you should encourage a child to do.

Your experience sounds great, but I don't think it's a good idea to encourage people who are 12 to adopt large parrots. Just like you wouldn't encourage them to adopt a toddler. That's a massive amount of responsibility and opportunity to screw up, that you're putting on someone who doesn't know yet what they want to do. What is someone going to do with a parrot when they go to college? When they move out at first and have a job that doesn't leave them with any extras to keep the parrot happy? What if they find out that they don't actually want to have a parrot for their entire life? I wanted to be an archaeologist when I was 12, and I very much don't now. Most of those parrots are in rescue situations because they were formerly owned by people who weren't prepared to give them what they needed, and no child is prepared for one. Especially not when it's a rescue bird that may have preexisting issues that would be hard for an adult to manage. People who own these birds rearrange their whole life around keeping it happy, and can still struggle, and I don't think that's something you should encourage a child to do.
I agree with all of your reasons why lots of folks of any age ought not to have pets. I have neighbors with dogs that are outside barking most of the time. My kids raised with parrots -- only one of the 5 keeps chickens and they are outside only pets due to the allergies one of her children has. Knowing only what the OP has told us, they like all kinds of animals. Sounds like their life does revolve around them like you wisely pointed out!

@Parront I'm not sure that the families life revolves around their pets. Any one with 3 dogs, a mini horse, a mini donk and chickens as well as school work, really does not have the time for a parrot, if the other animals are getting the attention that they really should have.

A budgie is simple. Everyone has a life that owns pets. The bird will be fine all day by itself..:frow
Although don't keep it in your room because of dander and they like the activity around the house.
My Cockatiel is placed by a window and has his own radio he loves listening to music.

Back
Top Bottom