No veterinarian will see my chicken. Need worming help please

veganloraine

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 13, 2012
We rescued 6 hens almost two weeks ago. I am pretty sure that one has gapeworm and the others (looking at their stools) have some kind of worm as well. I went to the feed store and they had never heard of gapeworm and offered a de-wormer for roundworm and nodeworms (?). The hen is (obviously) not getting better so I called every vet in our considerably rural region and no one will see chickens. What should I do?

I have just ordered something online called Flubenvet 1%, it says it treats gapeworm. My hens don't have worms but I wanted to make sure I keep one step ahead. I am in the UK but I'm pretty sure it will be available online to you too.

i use valbazen for my worming. i put three drops of ivomec in about 20 cc of valbazen and mix it well and give 0.5 cc to large breeds and 0.25 cc to banty size orally, you can get valbazen and ivomec at pretty much any feed store. you will want to do this once and then again in 8 to ten days.

Dawg53 on here is kind of the expert on worms, and he usually tells everyone to use valbazen only, and says it kills all worms chickens have including tapeworms. You can look up his posts on the search area above.

Thank you! I cannot get my head around living in a rural area and not one vet clinic that sees chickens. Did not see this as being an issue. Our feed store carries one brand of wormer - piperazine. We live in Ontario, Canada. Will order the Flubenvet and try the piperazine in the meantime and hope that all works out, I guess. So frustrating.

i use valbazen for my worming. i put three drops of ivomec in about 20 cc of valbazen and mix it well and give 0.5 cc to large breeds and 0.25 cc to banty size orally, you can get valbazen and ivomec at pretty much any feed store. you will want to do this once and then again in 8 to ten days.
Unfortunately you are overdosing your birds by using the ivomec. You may not see it outright, but the damage is done mainly to organs. I recommend only using only one wormer at a time and not mixing them.

Thank you! I cannot get my head around living in a rural area and not one vet clinic that sees chickens. Did not see this as being an issue. Our feed store carries one brand of wormer - piperazine. We live in Ontario, Canada. Will order the Flubenvet and try the piperazine in the meantime and hope that all works out, I guess. So frustrating.
Use the piperazine first, follow the directions on the label. If you suspect gapeworms, piperazine is useless and you'll need to use flubenvet. (I doubt your birds have gapeworm, as they are not common in chickens.)

Use the piperazine first, follow the directions on the label. If you suspect gapeworms, piperazine is useless and you'll need to use flubenvet. (I doubt your birds have gapeworm, as they are not common in chickens.)
Thank you! The reason I suspect gapeworm is because she is stretching out her neck and opening her mouth wide - repeatedly. There's no sound whatsoever though. She is very quiet and hasn't perked up like the others have. They are all badly bruised but the rest have started showing normal chicken behaviours. She just kind of lies there.

Hi there,

I lost three chickens to what I originally thought was gape worms (mine, too, were stretching their necks and opening their mouths). Had the same problem as you, couldn't find a vet that would run a fecal on chicken poop but finally found one last week. He ran the test and it turns out mine have capillary worms. They get them from eating earth worms apparently. The test also showed up some coccidia. I'm planning on treating the cocci with Sulmet and the vet advised I use liquid Safeguard for the worms.....I'm just having trouble figuring out the dosage and not knowing if I can treat both at the same time?

Back
Top Bottom