No veterinarian will see my chicken. Need worming help please

Thank you! I cannot get my head around living in a rural area and not one vet clinic that sees chickens. Did not see this as being an issue. Our feed store carries one brand of wormer - piperazine. We live in Ontario, Canada. Will order the Flubenvet and try the piperazine in the meantime and hope that all works out, I guess. So frustrating.
I don't know how close she is, but Barngoddess01 is up by you, maybe you two can get together and see what works, and where.
Her name is Barbara, and she may be able to point you in the right direction.

These chickens have lived their entire lives in battery cages inside a shed. Their feet have never touched grass. We've only had them a week and a half and only two have found the courage to leave their coop to go into the outdoor run. What I see in their poop is what appears to be teeny tiny earthworms and a spot of blood. They have never had anything other than layer mash so not sure if maybe I'm seeing some food scrap and not worms, but still doesn't explain the gaping. We didn't plan on getting chickens and so having to learn so much in such a short period of time. Everyone here is so helpful. I means a lot to us.

I don't know how close she is, but Barngoddess01 is up by you, maybe you two can get together and see what works, and where.
Her name is Barbara, and she may be able to point you in the right direction.
Thanks! I will pm her.

Unfortunately you are overdosing your birds by using the ivomec. You may not see it outright, but the damage is done mainly to organs. I recommend only using only one wormer at a time and not mixing them.
i have been mixing it this way for years now and never had a problem i only put 3 drops out of a syrenge with a needle on it in 20 cc of valbazen, im not trying to say your wrong but can you tell me why it would hurt them, i was told years ago that valbazen gets everything but one or two types of worms and the ivomec takes care of them. i dont know if its the mixture or if we have just never had any worm infestation but my chickens are all fat and happy. again not trying to say you are wrong but would like to learn more if you wouldnt care to teach me.

i have been mixing it this way for years now and never had a problem i only put 3 drops out of a syrenge with a needle on it in 20 cc of valbazen, im not trying to say your wrong but can you tell me why it would hurt them, i was told years ago that valbazen gets everything but one or two types of worms and the ivomec takes care of them. i dont know if its the mixture or if we have just never had any worm infestation but my chickens are all fat and happy. again not trying to say you are wrong but would like to learn more if you wouldnt care to teach me.
If you're using ivomec injectable, it may be an effective wormer on other livestock, but not chickens;
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0450.1989.tb00635.x/abstract
It will still kill mites in chickens. Ivermectin pour on and eprinex have been losing their effectiveness on large roundworms and wont kill cecal worms. This is due to its overuse as a miteacide, causing wormer resistance over time. I recently read where ivermectin is useless treating capillary worms, I 'll see if I can find the link and reference it for you.
Ivomec products can stay in the chickens system for a longer period of time, the longer the residue actually stays in the system, the greater the chance of eventual organ failure. The link I had showing this is no longer available, sorry.
Valbazen is a much safer wormer and kills all known worms that chickens can get including flukes. It slowly kills worms over a 3-5 day period preventing toxic worm overload. When valbazen is redosed 10 days later to kill worm larva hatched since the initail dosing, the kill rate is nearly 100% except for possibly gapeworm and tapeworms which may require several more wormings and at a higher dose.
http://japr.fass.org/content/16/3/392.full
I recommend that you continue with valbazen and add safeguard (fenbendazole) to your inventory and only use ivomec for treating mites.
You can give the valbazen orally undiluted if you wish, 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds...and get the same results as mixing it in water. This is up to you of course. If you wish to continue doing what you're doing, that's up to you as well.
Here's a link about ivomec not being effective in peafowl against capillary worms. Panacur (fenbendazole aka safeguard) is recommended. FYI only:
http://peafowlareus.com/worming.asp

Last edited:
i really apreciate that, i think i will continue the valbazen and discontinue the ivomec it is expensive anyway, and if its useless then what is the use in the extra expense, i will also buy some panacur or safeguard to keep on hand. thank you

Thank you! I cannot get my head around living in a rural area and not one vet clinic that sees chickens. Did not see this as being an issue. Our feed store carries one brand of wormer - piperazine. We live in Ontario, Canada. Will order the Flubenvet and try the piperazine in the meantime and hope that all works out, I guess. So frustrating.
I live in Ontario too and I used the piperazinebabd it worked bought Wazine in Duluth but now they don’t carry it either. Same as piperazine. It worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom