No waste Feeders for Quail

16556927324778459457732350798757.jpg

I've had great luck with using 1 gallon distilled water jugs. Just cut the top off above the handle so you can fill it and make little rectangular holes in the sides for them to stick their heads in. Basically zero waste.

The jugs are too big for the chicks, though, so for the first three weeks they waste a ton.

I had a great deal of success with the feeders on the bottom of the page at this site: Link

For chicks I used 3/4 inch holes and for older chicks 1 inch. I just grabbed chicks and measured to their chest height to figure out how high to make the holes. I ended up making multiple feeders and changed them out as the old ones were too small. I would probably do 1 1/4 inch if I wanted to make some for adults...which I might do. These guys are messy.

I made one similar to the Dine-A-Chook feeder (pic attached).

Took some 4in PVC pipe, cut it to about a foot and put a tee on the base with a plug. Cut half of the 90degree piece out so they could get their head in. Ran a 2in pipe in to just below where they eat and it refills from the pipe.

I noticed a little bit of mess, but a lot cleaner than anything else I use, hangs off the ground to help keep pests out and I can store about two weeks of food where I put it.

I can upload a picture of mine later.

Attachments

• dine-a-chook-chicken-feeder__14470.1643759356.jpg
    dine-a-chook-chicken-feeder__14470.1643759356.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom