Nobody told me how fun chickens are!

Huntress33

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2021
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I hatched my chickens about 9 months ago. It was such a great experience! After finding new homes for 4 roosters, I was left with just 4 hens. I love having chickens and love spoiling them. It has been great fun to learn about each of them separately and to see how the flock operates as well.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

4 hens in an established flock and currently adding one new one to the crew (I desperately want to add many, many more - but hoping the lone addition will hold me over until I feel more prepared to grow my flock.

(3) What breeds do you have?

2 Black Copper Marans mixes, 1 Olive Egger, 1 Barnvelder and the neighbors Welsummers come visit often. The Black Copper Marans were supposed to lay dark eggs, but the Welsummers leave me the darkest eggs of the group. The olive egger was supposed to leave me green eggs, but they are pink instead. It's all good and I wouldn't trade my girls for anything - and I guess someday I will get the eggs I dream of :)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love how different all their personalities are. My outgoing chickens are just fun to hang out with - and it is just as fun to encourage my shy hens to trust me. I have one that literally lives for food (she is like the Lab of chickens!), and she has somehow managed to talk my dog into sharing his breakfast every day.

Chicken psychology, I guess. They are such loyal little friends and I really feel pretty special when they all come running across the yard to greet me!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

During the pandemic, my hobbies have really shifted! Chickens are probably my favorite hobby. I also have a 2 year old, so probably finding new, interesting things for us to do together at home. I also enjoy cooking, wine, coffee, chocolate, learning to grow my own food and some day hope to add more social hobbies back into the mix! :)

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We have a dog, who was essentially our first child. He is spoiled and has a pretty high rank in this family. No decision is made without factoring the effect it would have on him. We have 4 (almost 5) wonderful hens. A 2 year old that loves to be outside. The animals and the kiddo all have a special little bond with each other and its made it all so much more fun!!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Nobody told me how fun they are either! My mom hated chickens (she grew up with them and for her, they were a lot of dirty work) so we never had any - except for a single year where she got a bunch of free meat breed (probably cornish cross) chicks and we raised and ate them. I never was involved with that, so having my chicks has led to a lot of amusement on my part. Probably a good thing I didn't know sooner, because I would have tried raising them in a less ideal location and that wouldn't have been good for them or me.

Back
Top Bottom