Nocturnal Ducks noisy at night

The Widow Flanagan

In the Brooder
Dec 31, 2017
My flock of 20 ducks stay up all night are very loud! They cannot be corralled into an enclosure and wander around the yard waking me and the neighbors. It's getting worse! I tend them during the day, when they rarely sleep, and they have food and water at all times. When can I get my flock to sleep? This is Alaska and there are very few, and 5 minutes less everyday, daylight hours. I leave one side of the chicken house open for them and never see the straw missed up, so they are not going in there. I am moving their food and water closer and closer to that door. There is plenty of room and 4 large runs they can get to. Should I try to sneak up and close the door and leave them there for a few days/nights and see what happens? My chickens can fly over the wall if they want to get around outside. How do I manage 20 ducks? Oh, 21 since suddenly we have a new Mallard Drake with us.

I couldn't believe how nocturnal my ducks are compared to my chickens. I like to say that the ducks like to party after dark. I'm somewhat concerned that their noise will draw in the coyotes. I do find that if/when I am able to lock them in their house for the night they settle down in there and are quiet and will sleep (I assume they are sleeping). As long as they have access to the outdoors though, they seem to be relatively active throughout the night.

I’d do what you suggest and put the food close to their shelter then when they go in to eat close the gate then you can herd them inside by dark. They will be safe from preds and quiet for you and the neighbors. Once you teach them to go inside by herding them slowly this means walking slowly behind with arms stretched or using one or two poles to guide they learn very quick what you want.

I’d do what you suggest and put the food close to their shelter then when they go in to eat close the gate then you can herd them inside by dark. They will be safe from preds and quiet for you and the neighbors. Once you teach them to go inside by herding them slowly this means walking slowly behind with arms stretched or using one or two poles to guide they learn very quick what you want.
I have tried and tried to herd these guys. They don't have a house of their own per se. The chicken coop is huge. I call it the chicken house! (Complete with artwork...and the Red Room is insulated with my Budweiser boxes!) Anyway, thanks all for responding. My ducks sure do party at night! And when I try and herd them, they split up. Darn things have unionized, I swear! I will do the move into the chix house. They will probably just go out to one of the yards and party there so we'll still hear them! I have to leave that hole open for ventilation. Right now, on November 18, it is 45 degrees and raining like crazy! Unheard of! Ponds and puddles for the ducks everywhere. In Alaska! No snow! So far, I'm liking Global Warming...

We must have gotten all your snow down in Colorado this year! We don't normally have this much snow before December. When I herd my ducks I walk like @Miss Lydia says with arms wide. I usually have a flashlight or headlamp and shine it towards their house as I go. You could even try holding a rake or a broom or something long because they will want to stay away from it and it might be easier to coax them in the right direction. Every now and then I have one or two split off and then they are frantic trying to figure out how to get back to the flock without getting close to me! and then of course when I go for the lone duck the others will come back out of their house :barnie Having a second person (or maybe a dog) can help too. Good luck! Hopefully it gets easier for you.

We must have gotten all your snow down in Colorado this year! We don't normally have this much snow before December. When I herd my ducks I walk like @Miss Lydia says with arms wide. I usually have a flashlight or headlamp and shine it towards their house as I go. You could even try holding a rake or a broom or something long because they will want to stay away from it and it might be easier to coax them in the right direction. Every now and then I have one or two split off and then they are frantic trying to figure out how to get back to the flock without getting close to me! and then of course when I go for the lone duck the others will come back out of their house :barnie Having a second person (or maybe a dog) can help too. Good luck! Hopefully it gets easier for you.
Yes, if only I had my ducks in a row....

Back
Top Bottom