Noises made by chicks- the cry of the Hawk

MissAli

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
This is our 4.5 week old EE. Since she was about 1-2 weeks old or so has made this shrieking noise. So much so that in combination with her colorings we have named her Lady Hawk. The "cry" she makes reminds me of a bird of prey shriek. Its very loud and while this video gives you an idea of how she sounds it is not a true representation of the noise she makes. Our other chicks don't make this noise. They just make various "peeps" and "chirps" of which we can determine scared, lonely, cold, or happy and content. Lady Hawks shriek stands out from all our other chicks so much so that we can tell it's her from another room in the house.

What does Lady Hawk make this noise? Does anyone else have a half chicken half hawk chick?

Thanks!
Ali

I have a couple that do that. But when I would go into to check on them they would quit. I thought after a while they just wanted me? But I am not a chicken pro or expert. But they do like to spend time with you.... lol

Chickens make the funniest noises....none of mine sound like a hawk...but I do have one big girl that sounds like a dog's squeak toy. She makes a high pitched squonking noise...sounds like a bad clarinet...lol. I have another that sounds just like a turkey hen. My husband will come running thinking its a wild turkey and its just one of my adolescent hens.

My RIR makes a similar cry which is louder than the others peeping, she does it because she is self proclaimed leader and is calling her flock. It's like a sharp very loud contact call.My BO makes a distinguished sound unlike the others as well. She makes a soft little purr when content.

All of my EE's have been the loudest chicks, both generations, but are quite quiet as hens, I think it is just a genetic trait.

Back
Top Bottom