Noisy chicken. Help!

DanaLH

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2018
Hi everyone,

Oh boy I may have created a chicken disaster. I previously had only one hen (Rosita), and brought home two pullets yesterday to add to our flock (I currently have the new chickens in the coop/run with her, but in a dog crate to let them get used to each other). I don't let the chickens free range because one of my dogs desperately wants to eat them :barnie... well yesterday while getting the new pullets settled in, I let Rosita out into the yard (I do this very occasionally and let her dig around under a tree and lock the dogs in the house, but yesterday was certainly a longer adventure than usual)... and today she won't stop squawking at the top of the lungs to get out and explore! This started at 7am and it's now 10am. We live in a dense urban area, so I am sure it is driving the neighbors crazy (it's driving me crazy)... any advice?? She has plenty of food, water, kitchen scraps (I even have a corn cob hanging from a rope for added entertainment). Please help! Any ideas/advice, I'll try anything! I wish I could let her free range but the dogs having access to the yard is higher priority...

Dana

Ah that's a great point. Do you think it is better to keep the dog crate they're in outside of the coop/run area (but next to it) for a while before putting it in "her" space? Or just wait it out with them in there?

Honestly.....if you have checked them for mites I would release them.

You aren't REALLY quarantining since they have already been together essentially.
Just watch closely for any serious fights, make sure to have at least 2 feeders and water stations as well as clutter in the run giving the new kids places to hide behind.

Right, not really quarantining, more of a "no contact" meet and greet. (I realized too late that I should have quarantined, but too late now I guess.. they look healthy). They're pretty small still (about 5-7 weeks) and the older chicken already pounced on one so I will probably leave them like this for a day or so and then test it out again. Thanks for the tip on multiple feeders/water and places to hide. Will do!

I moved the crate outside the run just now and the older chicken immediately went in to the coop to lay her egg ... ! So I think you were absolutely correct about her being fussy over "her" space. Thanks for the input!!

Right, not really quarantining, more of a "no contact" meet and greet. (I realized too late that I should have quarantined, but too late now I guess.. they look healthy). They're pretty small still (about 5-7 weeks) and the older chicken already pounced on one so I will probably leave them like this for a day or so and then test it out again. Thanks for the tip on multiple feeders/water and places to hide. Will do!

I moved the crate outside the run just now and the older chicken immediately went in to the coop to lay her egg ... ! So I think you were absolutely correct about her being fussy over "her" space. Thanks for the input!!

Can you section off a bit of the run and have the crate in there for them to sleep in?

I am thinking with them being much younger than I initially thought this process may take a while before they are safe with her.

With them still being quite young I am hoping the disease risks are much less than if you got near laying pullets.

Can you section off a bit of the run and have the crate in there for them to sleep in?

I am thinking with them being much younger than I initially thought this process may take a while before they are safe with her.

With them still being quite young I am hoping the disease risks are much less than if you got near laying pullets.

Ok good to know. How long do you think I should keep them separated? I was thinking a week, and then try letting them out in the yard together at first (rather than in the run - more distractions etc in the yard). But I certainly want to wait until it's safest. They're currently about half her size. I can keep them in the crate for now until I figure out how to section off an area in the run for them. For now they seem pretty happy in their crate, I put a dust bath, a roost bar and a swing in there! It's a pretty big crate haha it was for my 70 lb dog but he doesn't use it anymore.

Can you post a pic of your run so suggestions can be made?

I know keeping them confined in even the BIG dog crate won't last much longer. My dogs are huge 100#ers so I am pretty familiar with dog crates. ;)

I would think giving the young ones daily outings inside temporary fencing that keeps them right next to your hens run can help.

Back
Top Bottom