Noisy chickens!!

Kat8569

Hatching
May 16, 2020
England
We have a flock of 8 hens who happily live in our back garden. They have an Eglu fox proof coop meaning in the summer they don’t need to be shut in their coop at night.
Over the last few weeks one chicken in particular, (the second in the pecking order) has been making an extremely loud squawking noise that can last between 5-30 minutes just as they begin to get up and about!
It doesn’t really bother us however I don’t think the neighbours will take too kindly to a 4am wake up call- especially with everyone having windows open in the summer!
During the day she is more than happy and doesn’t make any unusual noises!!
Has anyone had this before or know of any solutions?
Many thanks!

It's starting to get light out, so maybe she see something and it's a warning call? Or maybe she just waking up and saying Good Morning World! Some chickens are more vocal than others. Only other thing is maybe have to lock them up in the coop and let them out a bit later.

Are you finding eggs in there of a morning? A number of my hens will "sing" (read, squawk their brains out) after laying an egg. Unsure if its to draw predators away from the eggs or to say "look what I did!! I am awesome!" It could be possible she just lays about 4am every morning

We have a flock of 8 hens who happily live in our back garden. They have an Eglu fox proof coop meaning in the summer they don’t need to be shut in their coop at night.
Over the last few weeks one chicken in particular, (the second in the pecking order) has been making an extremely loud squawking noise that can last between 5-30 minutes just as they begin to get up and about!
It doesn’t really bother us however I don’t think the neighbours will take too kindly to a 4am wake up call- especially with everyone having windows open in the summer!
During the day she is more than happy and doesn’t make any unusual noises!!
Has anyone had this before or know of any solutions?
Many thanks!
How old are these birds and how long have you had them?
Maybe a pred is prowling?

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Kat8569
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1592829294626.png

Thank you for all your help! We may have to try locking them away and I will start checking for eggs early in the morning- I normally leave it until lunchtime when they have normally finished laying!
We are in the south of England so summer and warm weather (for now!!) has arrived meaning the girls are up just before 4am!

Back
Top Bottom