Noisy Chickens!!!

I have 2 barred rock and 2 RIR. The rhodies are somewhat loud but the barred rocks seem to be pretty melow. My 4 are pullets, no roo's.

That's good
smile.png
Maybe it depends on the bird. I guess i'll have to find out!​

Hey yall, I have 6 White Leghorn hens, and 1 Rooster. Thank God I live in the country. My flock is LOUD!!!! The Rooster crows when a vehicle drives up, and the hens sing their egg song all day long. I am in Southeast Tx, and expecting 10 RIR in a few days. Don't expect the winter here in TX will bring the babes down. We'll keep them in the house til ready.

It's unlikely you'll have everyone in your flock be the shy, quiet and retiring type. Chickens are noisy. On the My Pet Chicken website, there is a FAQ in which MPC says this to the question of ordering "quiet chickens".

"There are no quiet chickens."

Well I know all chickens make a little noise. I had silkies before but they were very quiet. I didn't keep until they laid eggs though. I just dont want noise like a loud crow at 5:00 am or any time of the day if it doesn't soud like a wild bird.​

Quote:
can i have your then !

i have two BO
betty is the silent type who goes in and out the coop very quiet and just struts around afterwards
poorwilma goes in and screams herheart out for upto two hours !!! poor thing

Quote:
How loud is that normally and how long does it last? I couldn't really tell how loud it was by the video.

It was loud enough that I was concerned (neighbors w/in 150 ft of pen) but it made me laugh. Lasted about 10 minutes. For some reason they don't do it every time they lay, at least I haven't heard them.

It was loud enough that I was concerned (neighbors w/in 150 ft of pen) but it made me laugh. Lasted about 10 minutes. For some reason they don't do it every time they lay, at least I haven't heard them.

Well it's good that they don't do it every time they lay. They are only 3 weeks old so I have a while to figure things out. Thanks for the help
big_smile.png

as I said, my neighbors hear my hens more than my rooster. I live on a fairly busy highway, 55mph speed limit, so the traffic roars by all day long. The coop is about 500 or so feet behind my house. My neighbor who lives on the other side of the highway, about 1/8 mile down the road, can hear them inside his house if the windows are open.
My neighbor next door said she hears them "sometimes" but ignores them. Neither one cares about the noise. Sometimes it only last 5 mins or so. Other times they start cackling back and forth and will go on for 30 mins or more.

Back
Top Bottom