noisy ckickens

joe-chook

Hatching
12 Years
Jun 16, 2007
Hi
We have 4 chooks(thats what we call them in Australia)
We have 2 "Frizzles"(white bantams, with feathers that curl), a black Bantam and a brown Leghorn
I will post pics shortly to confirm breed, if needed.

My problem is we live in the suburbs and the brown chook and black bantam make alot of noise in the morning(sunrise). I am pretty sure the leghorn starts the whole process when she hears the kettle boiling in the morning, the the bantam starts up as a support act.

I am wondering if anybody has any suggestions to stop this problem, as I am concerned about the nieghbours and my partner(who hates early mornings).

We love them very much, but the noise in the morning is becoming a real pain in the you know what.
cheers,
Joe

I don't think you could stop a rooster from crowing...it's like trying to hold back the ocean...can't be done.
I don't know if you can have their crow-er surgically removed either, and that would be mean, even if you could. The only remedy I know of is, give them to someone who doesn't have an allergy to crowing roos, or cull them.
I personally love to hear mine crow. They just started learning how and it is so funny to hear them belt one out. Reminds me of when my son's voices started to change.
Good luck in whatever you decide!
big_smile.png

I remember reading that the surgery to decrow a rooster is expensive, not always effective, and has a high mortality rate--30%.

I just googled and found this, maybe you can contact Dr. Babcock:
Surgically, decrowing a rooster can be done.., but is tedious and requires skill, knowledge in Chicken Anatomy and some surgical technique.

DR. Ross E. Babcock in Phoenix Arizona

has developed a simple surgery to decrow a rooster. It was written that he is willing
to speak to other veterinarians about this procedure.
He can be reached at

1215 E Northern Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85020
602-944-9661

Thanks, but there is no rooster just the hens and they make an incredible racket, they have plenty of food and water and free range of a good sized back yard.
I am not sure what else they need, they get plenty of love and attention from us.
Joe

I think your right, they soon quieten down when someone is out the back with them or when they are allowed up around the house to dig in our garden beds, so I think they love us as much as we love them.
Its a bit of a stretch when it is just dawn and I have the troops to get ready for school and work.
It is worth it though they are such characters and very relaxing to have around.
cheers,
Joe

Joe,

Just had two suggestions for you. Could you move the coop so they couldn't hear the inside noises, and might sleep in a bit?

The second suggestion, and I'm not sure what your set up is here, is maybe not let them out of the henhouse quite so early, so they will think it's still night-time. I let my group out to play around 9am, and when I open their coop they are usually all still sleeping, and the sound of me opening their window is what stirs them up.

Not sure if either will work, since it sounds like your group are free range all the time?

-Meghan

Thanks Meghan
That is a great idea, we have always let them put themselves to bed and get up when they want, we will try closing them in at night and let them out at a more respectable hour, before we head off for work.
I am sure the nieghbours will appreciate it.
Your place sounds like our place with kids of all types and ages, we only wish we had more land to fit more on.
cheers,
Joe
PS What a great site BYC is, we have found the concern and interest from all a great experience.

Back
Top Bottom