Noisy distressed chicks :(

dawnh

Chirping
Mar 17, 2015
West Yorkshire, England.
I have two 3 week old chicks that were in a plastic brooder. Two little ones hatched this morning, so I need to put them in the plastic brooder, so I fixed up my large dog crate and moved the 3 week olds in there about an hour ago. They are now making so much noise, like they're really distressed :( Is there anything I can do to help them settle in? I have given them a box so they have a dark, quiet spot, and they have a teddy in with them. I'm used to their contented chirruping, this noise is really upsetting, and I now have a headache :( Thanks in advance :)

I have two 3 week old chicks that were in a plastic brooder. Two little ones hatched this morning, so I need to put them in the plastic brooder, so I fixed up my large dog crate and moved the 3 week olds in there about an hour ago. They are now making so much noise, like they're really distressed :( Is there anything I can do to help them settle in? I have given them a box so they have a dark, quiet spot, and they have a teddy in with them. I'm used to their contented chirruping, this noise is really upsetting, and I now have a headache :( Thanks in advance :)

It will take them a little while to get used to their new place. But they should settle down probably when it gets dark.

Just time. chickens in general hate changes and protest loudly. Feel free to put them someplace you can't hear them, they'll be fine.

Right now I'm listening to my latest broody hen's chicks fussing up a storm cause she decided to roost for the first time. They're horrified momma would go off and leave them, way up there in the air! It will be this way for a few nights, until they adjust to the new sleeping arrangements.

I don't know if you plan to raise chicks regularly, but there are a couple of places where you can get information on brooding outdoors in full sight of the older chickens. It's a more natural way to brood them - they are used to temperature fluctuations, day/night cycles (so important for growing chicks) and learn by watching the older chickens from the safety of a separate enclosure. Integration goes smoothly. And the best part is that there are no heat lamps or lights involved!

With my stupid new browser I can't copy and paste links. (Thanks for "edge", Microsoft!) But up in the search box you can type in "Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder" and it will take you to the site which explains how to set it up and use it. You'll see videos (I think there is one on page 4 and maybe 6) and hear from others who are trying this system.

There is another article you can find by typing in "Yes You Certainly Can Brood Chicks Outdoors". I just got sick of the noise, the dust and the constant light, so I bit the bullet and started the next batch of chicks outside. I haven't looked back!

Back
Top Bottom