Noisy Hens, - their last chance....

TonyV

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 14, 2008
Buckinghamshire, UK
sad.png

All the previous topics indicate hens are generally quiet, - 'gentle clucking' and a 'squark' or two when laying an egg.

Why do mine have to be so different?

We've only had them a few weeks, - but their days are numbered if we cant sop them squarking for hours on end!

We have two 'rehomed' Wyandottes, probably about 2 years old. They are lovely, but whenever one decides it's egg laying time, - the other makes one hell of a row, then they both make a row afterwards, and soon the other will want to lay and the process continues!

Continuous sqwarking can last THREE hours, much to the neigbours delight - not!

I've tried letting them out in the garden, keeping them in the pen, letting the out of the roost later in the morning, etc - no change.

If we cant make them less noisy, - they have to go, we cant risk complaints as it's a rented property.

Any last ditch suggestions?

Thanks

Tony

i take it your coop isn't insulated.. that would help hold some of the noise in. Also, don't let them out of the coop until around 11am. They should be done laying by then.

Thanks FutureChickenMan, - it's not insulated, - the weather can be quite warm so dont want to cook them inside.

They are in an ark type roost, - big enough for 2-3 , but I'm reluctant to keep them cooped up (no pun intended) in the small dark space for half the day, - isnt that a bit cruel?

Having said that, - I guess anythings worth a try.

We keep our chickens in until around 11. We have no nieghbors to upset, but I find the girls are a bit more quiet when the are let out to range, and I can the eggs pretty much all at once instead of making three or four trips up through the day.

Our coop is large, but isn't well lit. I don't think the dark would bother your girls so much, but the small area might be an issue. How big is you ark?

I have a couple Silver-laced Wyandottes who are LOUD. No matter what time of day. Their calls do echo at times.

I'm sorry you're having this trouble.
Em

Thanks Em,

This is the coup, - (a Forsham 603 if the link doesnt work)

http://www.forshamcottagearks.com/poultry-housing/forsham-603-chicken-house.htm

only designed for about 3 hens.

they can have the run of the garden ( provided we keep an eye on our cat - who is stalking them - but thats yet ANOTHER issue
sad.png
)

I guess I could insulate the coup, - but where do you stop?

BTW - we have a blue laced and a lavender Wyendotte.

Thanks for your help
smile.png

I can only speak for myself, but my birds do not all lay early in the morning. They all lay at different times, and individual birds do not stick to a set schedule of when the lay each day. Keeping them cooped up later will just make them unhappy and cramped.

Thanks Cara, - I'm really going to take some convinceing that they can be shut away till 11am, - not what we had in mind for free range hens
smile.png

There doesnt seem to be any answers, - guess they have to go.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

Thanks Cara
We are in High Wycombe, - the far south of Buckinghamshire. If we decide we have to lose the hens - perhaps your family in Bucks would want them?

Really dont know what to do for the best, we have lots of animals, and have never given up before, We've always done the best for all our pets, they always come first, but I'm at a loss as to how to get over this noise issue.

We did our homework, and nowhere did it say they could be noisy for hours. I know they are healthy, - we get an egg a day from each, and they strut round the place as if they own it, so I'm sure they are happy as well, - why cant they learn to keep their voice down!

Thanks for listening....

My family are in Stokenchurch, I went to school in Wycombe. I'm a long way from home now! Unfortunately they're not chicken people, i'm the odd one out.

It's strange that they are so noisy. I suppose it's more noticeable in town when you have close neighbours, but we've never had annoyingly noisy hens. Roosters yes, but the hens are only noisy while they are actually laying or if something bothers them while they're on the nest.

Back
Top Bottom