noisy hens?

del gallinero

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 2, 2011
I am planning a backyard flock and haven't chosen exactly which breeds I am getting, but I am leaning toward the following for the characteristics I need for my suburban
set-up. (Hens only) Barred Rocks, Dominiques, and Buckeyes. However, I just read on some other chicken site that Buckeyes are noisy, which is something I am trying to avoid
so that neighbors don't have a reason to complain. Anyway, they didn't say whether it was a rooster quality specifically or a breed quality in general. I would like to have
a Buckeye, but not if it is a noisy breed. From what I've read the Rocks and Dominiques are relatively quiet. Does anyone have any experience with Buckeye hens to advise?
Thanks in advance for any helpful advice. Much appreciated.
big_smile.png

My barred rocks were really noisy. I think it all depends on how they were raised. Favorolles are very calm and docile.

Difficult one to answer really.

I have a cream legbar which is supposed to be a very noisy bird (only found that out after I got her). Yet, she isn't noisy at all!

Silkies have been the noisiest birds I've had.

Now, the only time I get "noise" is the egg song - and as none have laid for the past couple of months, it has been very, very, quiet
wink.png

My Buckeyes are fairly quiet, actually. My BRs have always been "talkers" but that's not noisy clucking all the time; it's mostly gossiping!

I've never had Dominques so I cannot comment on them.

I think the noises hens make, even when they are talkers, are quite different than rooster noise. Two of my hens are pretty constant conversationalists, but it's just chatter and prolly not noticeable outside my yard. Hens are also quiet at night. My Roo, by contrast would crow all hours of night and day and was noticeable inside the house. His singing shattered the 4am quiet of my neighborhood in the middle of the city and was very noticeable, notice I'm using past tense. I was attached to him but no Roos allowed in our city ordinance , and he started off as a 'hen'. The only time I worry about my hens being noticed by the neighbors might be singing the egg song when another hen is in the nest box, in which case the hen who wants to lay gets very loud and insistent with her BOK BOK baGAWK!!! And this scenario is just not that often and during daylight hours. 1 of my two Buff Orps and my Barred Rock are the noisy ones in the flock. My Easter Eggers are the quietest, most docile.

I have always found hens of the same breed differ. I have several wellsummers and all but one are really quite birds but one of them is a real squaker. I also have pekins and two of them are so noisy whilst you dont know you have the others.

Fred's Hens :

Chickens are noisy and that reality cannot be avoided, imho. The noises of hens, other than the "ba-gawking", are fairly subtle compared to a rooster. I've never had a silent, or near silent flock of hens.

X2​

I have to add on some new information because I experienced a new chicken phenomenon this morning. 5/6 hens all started the egg song this morning AT THE SAME TIME....HOLY COW it's LOUD!!!! Seems like they are all trying to outsing each other at once. Not sure if they are trying to out brag each other or cheer one another on. Two have laid, one is in the nest box, and one is on deck (standing outside the box, looking in and saying 'hurry up beotch'), but they are all singing at once and its pretty loud, lol.

Back
Top Bottom