NOISY RIR, advice please!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stoutfamily, Jul 22, 2011.

1. stoutfamily

stoutfamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    I have two chickens, an RIR and an EE, and one duck. Both chickens are 23 weeks old, and are both girls as far as I can tell. My RIR, Buffy, was recently found after 8 weeks missing, where she was apparently just roaming the neighborhood. My EE, Hoot, had a lot of alone time while Buffy was missing, and began to lay during this time.

Anyway, Buffy is SO loud. She rivals the duck, when i thought there was no way anyone could be louder than him. Hoot is so quiet, and is soft-spoken when she does make noise. Unless she's in distress, you'd have to be really quiet to even hear her talking. Buffy just seems to yell and moan all day long. I go out to check on them, and nothing is wrong. She evens makes a bunch of noise while I'm out there. Day, night, it does not matter with this girl.

Is this normal? Does anyone have any advice to make her quieter?
    I read somewhere on here that it may be related to laying, is this true? She hasn't started yet, but Hoot has.

Any help would be appreciated!
    I keep thinking there's something wrong with her and then it's nothing, she's driving me up the wall! [​IMG]

2. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    It could be the fact that she was free for two months and doesn't like to be penned up again. I 'm not sure so hopefully someone else with more knowledge will stop by and give you better advice.

3. stoutfamily

stoutfamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    Quote:Thanks. They aren't penned up, they free range the yard, so I don't think that's it. She could run away again if she wanted to...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by