Noisy rooster

zivaC

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 15, 2014
Hi everyone!

So I have a beautiful gorgeous rooster named Pedro who's obviously become a bit too noisy now. I bought chicks and they were supposed to be girls and this one turned out to be a rooster so I decided to keep him, he is so friendly and sweet and just gorgeous! (See pic)
However, we live in a suburban area and I think it's probably illegal to keep a rooster, and although I haven't received any complains from any neighbours yet I'm sure at some point someone will say something about the noise. He starts crowing at 4:30am (mind you no sun around yet) !!!
So what my question is - and this will sound silly, apologies in advance - is there any way to quieten him down a bit (without killing him obviously! I don't believe in eating my pets!) ??? Like some hormonal thing maybe? Any suggestions for anything really??

Forgot to mention some details - he is around 7 months old and he's a half Isa brown half Australorp (as you can see)! Also, the friendliest rooster ever! This kiddo falls asleep cradled in my arms !

A friendly rooster is a must to try to keep. And he is gorgeous.

I have no rooster and no experience, hope others will give you suggestions. I do know they can crow on and off all day for their own reasons…. But , makes me wonder why he is crowing so early & what is waking him up so early?

Is he coop confined at nite? Is he seeing light or hearing something that makes him awaken? Could you have prowling predators he is responding to? Are there barking dogs in the neighbor hood?

But, folks report even hens can crow, so if ya get complaints, tell them he's a hen, and lays so early and crows in pride.

My Pet Chicken advertises a No-Crow Rooster Collar. It's a piece of fabric that velcros around the neck. I personally have no experience with this but maybe someone else can chime in.

Good luck though!

@sunflour thanks so much for the compliment for my Pedro! He is indeed quite pretty & too nice for me to have to give him away. From what I've heard, friendly roosters aren't very common!
My neighbourhood is pretty quite, although I do know there is like a valley nearby where foxes live and they tend to come out at night. They don't always make it this far though I've heard of attacks on some neighbours ch

- Woops sorry accidentally pressed reply too soon :p

Anyways my neighbours chooks have been attacked, but her coop wasn't that safe. Mine is quite safe and it's well locked up, and they have plenty of room and they sleep on a high shelf. They neighbours have a little dog but he doesn't usually bark a lot and he's pretty quiet. Can't think of any other reason why he starts so early !
@Eviebella never heard of that, sounds interesting! Will check that out, thanks for the info!
@centrarchid well I don't want to spend an awful lot of money, but I'm willing to spend a reasonable amount. I'm very much into animal happiness and welfare and I can't imagine giving Pedro away to someone who may end up mistreating him or worse, killing him!

- Woops sorry accidentally pressed reply too soon :p

Anyways my neighbours chooks have been attacked, but her coop wasn't that safe. Mine is quite safe and it's well locked up, and they have plenty of room and they sleep on a high shelf. They neighbours have a little dog but he doesn't usually bark a lot and he's pretty quiet. Can't think of any other reason why he starts so early !
@Eviebella never heard of that, sounds interesting! Will check that out, thanks for the info!
@centrarchid well I don't want to spend an awful lot of money, but I'm willing to spend a reasonable amount. I'm very much into animal happiness and welfare and I can't imagine giving Pedro away to someone who may end up mistreating him or worse, killing him!

It is a tough road for roosters when most people have more need for hens and when much of balance of chicken keepers have no need. There simply does not exist enough people out there to absorb all the unwanted roosters. Easiest way out if bird well being is of genuine concern is to keep them yourself.

You can look into de-crowing as an option enabling you to keep rooster. How it stresses bird I do not know but can be done for a price. Such treated birds should have more invested in them for protection. I would not free-range one so treated without very direct supervision.

Back
Top Bottom