Non Egg Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LM Farm, Dec 7, 2014.

1. LM Farm

LM Farm New Egg

Dec 7, 2014
    I have a variety of breeds of hen that are about 4 ½ months old. They range from legghorns, australorps, dark cornish, barred rocks. They have not started laying yet. I have 2 Roosters of the same age who is already trying to breed them. Is it because they have matured faster than my hens or are they getting ready to start laying.

Thanks for your time!

2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Hi, and [​IMG]

My guess is that at 4 1/2 months of age the cockerels are just maturing faster than your pullets. All chickens, wether male or female, will mature at different rates, just like with people.

4 1/2 months only equates to about 17 weeks old, which would be really young to start laying. Normally, even early layers don't lay until 18+ weeks, and most of my girls (BO's and RIR's) averaged at about 23 weeks old to lay their first eggs.

I know it's hard, but patience is a virtue. They will start laying once they are fully matured. Your girls must not be quite ready yet, but their time will come. Now would be a good time to open up the nest boxes and let them start exploring though.

Good luck!

- Krista

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, cockerels sexually mature earlier than pullets.

Having 2 cockerels will make them more aggressive in trying to mate due to the competition of 2 males being in the same flock.

Unless you've got a lot of females and a lot of space, it might be best to get rid of 1 of the cockerels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by