Non Emergency - Runty chick

Nuggetirl

Songster
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Oklahoma
This weekend I got three chicks from a fellow BYC member. She sent me home with a runty Silkie that she was keeping with the babies. (he is an assisted hatch and has had a hard chickie life)
He's fairly bony but completely healthy. He runs around, scratched the ground, eats his foot, and stands up to the other chicks.
Is there anything I can do to help him fill out other than having food out all the time and keeping an eye on him?
I think he'll start filling in now that there's only the three of them in a large cage, but I'd like to see him put on a little weight and start feathering out better.

Boiled egg or scrambled eggs is good for them.

I had a Silkie with constipation issues. At one point in time, it involved multiple "assists" per day. Then it got to where it was doing it on its own, but it was difficult. It would often just find a corner and struggle - you could see that it would almost prolapse itself by straining so hard. Thankfully we have moved past that and it seems to poop okay now, but still smaller poops than the other (and it is about half the size as the others as well).

I made sure to weigh it every couple of days with as close to an empty crop as possible to make sure the numbers were increasing and not decreasing. I would boil and egg and it would get about 1/4 of the egg yolk and a little of the white. Went from twice per day, to once per day, to every other day, and now just when I have an extra that I give to all of the chickens. Sometimes I would scramble an egg and add a bit of olive oil.

Although the chick is still smaller than it's buddies, it appears to be thriving. Yesterday I even discovered that it had made it to the top roosting pole with the 'big guys'.

Thanks. Luckily, Scooter seems to poop fine. Otherwise, he wouldn't get to poop at all during the day. :/
I'll start weighing him and give him some egg at night.

Thanks. Luckily, Scooter seems to poop fine. Otherwise, he wouldn't get to poop at all during the day. :/
I'll start weighing him and give him some egg at night.
Glad he is good in that department! I have no idea if the constipation problems led to him being stunted, or if he was always a runt and what caused him to be a runt led to the digestive issues. One of those 'which came first' questions that will probably never be answered.

Back
Top Bottom