Non GMO Feed, and is Purina GMO?

I been buying Nature Best from TSC need a bag now. but they also started carrying Purina Organics and local TSC store manager did not know if they would still carry teh Nature Best too yeah they are 40 lbs.. I also noted the purina was even higher priced than the Nature Best
just a saying

I looked at that country organics site. Their food does look beautiful! And as a family we fully understand that we eat with our eyes first. I wonder if having a nice selection to pick through actually causes more waste? I also wonder how it will effect fermenting? Not much I suspect. My flock free range on over an acre in the PNW and have great variety of not only greens but bugs. But with 48 + or - (chicken math)
hide.gif
organic still seems out of my price range.
sad.png
I just do this as a hobby because I like the animals. My family is only 3 of us. Maybe when I am able to sell eggs to cover the cost of keeping that will be different.
I been buying Nature Best from TSC need a bag now. but they also started carrying Purina Organics and local TSC store manager did not know if they would still carry teh Nature Best too yeah they are 40 lbs.. I also noted the purina was even higher priced than the Nature Best
just a saying
A lot of times, they could still order your original product even though that isn't what they are gonna put on their shelf. I know TSC is a major company so not sure. But my LFS is willing to order anything they can get for me, often cheaper than I can find on Amazon.

Anyone who has a close Costco, their organic layer is a great price! Like $20ish for 40#. Probably not corn or soy free and I'm not sure which brand since I don't buy it. Unfortunately I use all flock since I have mixed ages and genders. So Costco is not an option. They are actually 2.5 hours from me, but even with gas I still save major (fill up cuz gas is cheaper there enough to cover the cost as well). They usually pay me about $50/year to shop there. If you do TRY their executive membership and it doesn't pay for itself, they will refund you the difference (not automatically but when you request it) and reinstate your original membership!

Incidentally, the closest TSC to me is 5ish hours or so. It's my understanding they put out lots of coupons and offer a discounted price at 10 or 20 bags (not sure which).

Right now I go through 200# of feed per month. I am constantly reading labels, comparing ingredients and nutrient value, price of course and availability. I go with what SOUNDS like the best ingredients with the nutritional values that meets my flocks' needs. It has been way to much info to process in a short period of time. But I know with persistence I will find a happy medium. I would like to go soy free. Is corn any better? Of course I understand organic would be a best choice. One thing I have discovered is many companies sell feeds under different labels. 2 I am deciding between right now have the same nutritional value and same ingredients until more than half way through. Side by side one looks like it has more "dust" than the other which if I was dry feeding would definitely make a difference long term in waste, I think. The one that is less dusty is $1 more which is not significant to me, I hope to choose the best one. Since I haven't been able to decide, I've been doing half & half. Same company. Any suggestions how to decide?

Of it is non-gmo, it will say so. If it is organic it will also say so. Those are both big selling points ao I promise they wouldn't miss the opportunity to label it as such!

I didn't read all the responses, but just wanted to share that in labeling terms.... ORGANIC does NOT mean non-gmo and vice versa, non-gmo does NOT mean organic.
hmm.png
So you can have one, both, or neither. If you want organic, non-gmo than you must buy it labeled as such. My LFS sells them all. The organic, non-gmo is usually higher priced and often comes in 40# bags instead of 50# (not always).

Please be careful about growing your own. Many people don't realize the feeds are formulated to give the correct amount of nutrients and end up doing more harm than good for their chickens. Also, not all gmo's and organics are created equal. For example, cyanide ans arsenic are both organic but deadly. And some gmo's are simply cross pollinating different types of plants, which could totally happen in nature... So my suggestion is do your best with the knowledge you have and adjust a needed. Costco caries organic layer at a very good price, Not sure if it's non gmo or not. I don't use layer feed since I have different ages and genders. So I stick with grower, which I have never yet found organic or non gmo. So if I choose to go that way, probably has to be an unmedicated starter. I haven't made that commitment yet, since I don't even buy all my stuff that way. As a disclosure, I am not against organics or for gmo's... I just understand that there are many layers of understanding and jumping on any bandwagon is not for me. People, drinking a glass of wine a day if you don't like it probably won't make you live longer if your unhappier doing it. And I like milk chocolate. If I eat the dark stuff I might as well be stubbing my toe.
big_smile.png
When I stub my toe, bad hormones flood my body trying to cause me mental health problems which would lead to over all poor health. Again, I am only making examples.... so please don't jump my case. Just having conversation.

I suggest sprouting barley for fodder over growing corn. Corn takes a lot of land and water but doesn't have as many nutrients. I am barely starting, but it sounds very interesting and doable. I hope I helped some instead of just adding confusion or contention. Neither are my intention.

Best wishes!
Umm..ORGANIC 101.
You can't call something organic if it has GMO. GMO is prohibited from use in organic products! So therefore organic DOES mean non-GMO.

Umm..ORGANIC 101.
You can't call something organic if it has GMO. GMO is prohibited from use in organic products! So therefore organic DOES mean non-GMO.
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Thanks for trying to help educate me. I'll go ahead and point out that if you notice the date, this thread is about 5 years old! For some reason, old threads keep popping up on new searches with the software change that took place in the last couple weeks. So you might look at the date next time you spend the effort. In fact, reading through that last post I had made it said my closest TSC was 5 hours.. now it's 5 minutes!

Please understand that the label organic and WHO certifies allow for all kinds of crappy labeling terms that have no relevance. AND organic allows for ALL sort of chemical and other stuff to be used based on whatever criteria that want to make up.. FWIW.. USDA, FDA, and all them government agencies.. serve the dollar and NOT the people, PERIOD! Trust NOT in labels and non regulated or worse regulated terms! ;)

https://www.ams.usda.gov/rules-regulations/organic/national-list

So according to what you've written and my assessment.. Organic does allegedly mean non gmo. But non gmo does NOT mean organic. per say. Is that an accurate statement? :pop

IMO, not all GMO is bad AND not all organic is good either.. there's plenty of organic compounds and such that are not welcome anywhere near my life.

Get this.. most folks (not commercial) selling their organically raised chickens.. probably don't even know about the dark time requirement and will raise their chicks using organic feed but standard heat bulbs.. well, that's NOT organic according to the rules.

I hope you continue to settle in and are having a wonderful poultry adventure! There are lots of fantastic articles and members here. Just remember we are a community and here to help each other along not just prove someone wrong. Our experience and knowledge continues to grow if we stay open minded.. Kindness can go a long way towards a cheerful and friendly community that's MUCH different than others around! :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom