Non Gmo or Non Soy?

Jul 13, 2022
Hi everyone !
Long story short my non gmo & non soy feed I usually get for my flock is not going to be an option anymore.
I’m having such a tough time finding an alternative that’s not going to make me go broke or one that I’m going to have to order online.
I’d prefer to buy locally or at Tractor Supply.
If I can’t get a feed with both which one should I get? One that’s Non Gmo but has Soy? Or one that’s Soy free but not Organic ?

I get my feed from a local supplyer. His feed isn't organic, but he doesn't use as harsh or as many chemicals as what the big companys use and his stuff is non-gmo. One thing he does organically though is he roasts and then presses the oil out of his soybeans. In the big places they use chemicals and soak the beans to get the oil out. He says he thinks that a big reason that people have such an issue with soybeans is how they process the beans. It's much cheaper to roast them and then press the oil out opposed to soaking them, but big companys don't have the time to wait on that process. That's how they do things in Europe, where everybody actually cares about their health and the government puts actual guidelines on what goes into food. What we need is less mega companys trying to supply everyone in America, and more small businesses, who care about more than just money, supplying feed to several countys in their state. Business folk who take the time to do things a better way. It's a crying shame that we who live in such an advanced and wealthy country have to worry about eating plastic in a piece of bread from the grocery store. I can't wait for the time when we don't have to shop for "non-gmo" "organic" etc. because we already know that we don't have to worry about such absurdity. I'm able to buy a pound of feed from my supplier for $.20 a pound.

Yes, @Burnlem, I have a few thoughts on Soy. Not retyping everything, just linking one of the many discussions. That one has both pro-soy and anti-soy adherents, so enjoy the back and forth - should offer a more nuanced view.

As regards chicken feed, I'm pro soy. As regards human consumption, I recognize a lot of caveats for persons with specific medical conditions - but not others.

A search of the feed forum will find a lot on keyword "soy", and also that I am a frequent poster. Plenty to research, if you are interested.

CA teacher study here. https://www.calteachersstudy.org/ Seems to be the largest, longest, study of human nutrition and health outcomes ever conducted.

Tractor supply sells an organic one called dumor. I *think* it's made by Purina, but I could be mistaken on that. That's what we feed our chickens. It's not terribly priced.
Dumor is a house brand. It uses a "recipe" (not to be thought of like a baking recipe - because its not 10# of this, 10# of that, but rather a formulation intended to achieve a specific output within an acceptable range from a specified set of ingredients whose by weight inclusion may vary from lot to lot) which was originally developed by Purina.

As best can be determined, TSC bids out the manufacture to some number of regional mills to produce on local lines but bag with TSC's labels. Many, possibly most, of those local mills are owned by Land 'O Lakes (who owns Purina Animal Feed here in the US). Some are not. If you read the bag very carefully and there are a lot of bags on display , you will see different labels "Produced by" and "Produced for" at the bottom in the small print, and indicators not only of different lots, but different mill locations. The further you are towards the extreme edges of the supply chain, the less likely you will see multiple mills.

How does the crop/s being grown around you play into what you feed your chickens?
If the surrounding fields aren't organic, and any of it spreads onto their property/is consumed by their chickens, they can't maintain their Organic status.

Same thing writ large when farmers wanting to go organic plant next to farmers using Monsanto's "Roundup Ready" products, though they are also at risk of being prosecuted by Monsanto if any of their crop tests positive for Monsanto's patented genes. (Rare - but happens just enough to stay in the media, and thus discourage risk taking).

Regarding organic feed generally, feeds carrying the USDA Organic stamp of approval can (and generally do) include synthetic Methionine (appears as DL-Methionine on the label).
I've definitely wondered how all (or any for that matter) of the added vitamins/fortifiers would pass as "organic". the modesto milling feed i use does include DL-Methionine. I guess at some point, if someone needs that pure of a feed they ought to just be making their own.

I know Cantonment, have driven thru once or twice - and no, i don't mean the stretch of I10 that's one of Cantonment's borders. You should have Little Eden Farm nearby (Pace) - elderly lady raises bunnies, pigs, various fowl. Her rabbits are really exceptional, I can definitely recommend (though pricy). Beyond that, I don't know the area well - I'm a good bit east of you.

I've never shopped these people, but Barnes Feed Store, and Barnes Feed Store Too both carry Tucker Milling.

https://www.facebook.com/Barnesfeedstore/
https://barnesfeedstore.wordpress.com/

Ain't the Internet great?
I just wanted to thank you for this tip! We went by there today. It's actually very close to our house but I've never noticed the store. They had the feed and will become our new shopping center.

I looked into getting certified organic. To do so, it would be a cost and mean allowing someone to come here and do the certifying. Nope. I don't sell my garden produce, so there's no upside. I give excess away to my neighbors.

I looked into what it would take to label my eggs organic. The chickens would have to have eaten organic feed their entire lives, and the coop/run could not contain any treated wood. Nope, right out, right there.

I am "down wash" from a farmer who grows corn, wheat, alfalfa, and soy, alternately. He uses glyphosate, so I imagine that that is in my water, along with whatever other things he uses. Nothing I can do about that, except put a filter on my tap water.

I do the best I can, with what I have, where I am.

Back
Top Bottom