Non Gmo or Non Soy?

I don't know that I would necessarily look for organic chicken feed. If you can find some feed that doesn't have soy, but isn't organic, then I'd probably go with that. Just about 100% of the time "organic" means nothing. The "guidelines" in order for something to fall under the term "organic" means that even harsher chemicals can be used on the product.
Agreed. I go with non-gmo. Organic stuff is so hard to find and is expensive

Agreed. I go with non-gmo. Organic stuff is so hard to find and is expensive

I'm not a die hard organic buyer but a USDA Organic stamp *supposedly* insures no GMO products. I'd like to know who or how many feed brands would likely fall into the organic category but choose not to pay what I assume are outrageous fees to maintain such organic status and labels. Those fees to maintain such a label obviously drive up feed cost to the consumer. One mill that's about an hour from me recently put onto their site that they cannot even pay to maintain their "non GMO" label on their feed anymore, so they are dropping it but still producing the same feed.

I'm not a die hard organic buyer but a USDA Organic stamp *supposedly* insures no GMO products. I'd like to know who or how many feed brands would likely fall into the organic category but choose not to pay what I assume are outrageous fees to maintain such organic status and labels. Those fees to maintain such a label obviously drive up feed cost to the consumer. One mill that's about an hour from me recently put onto their site that they cannot even pay to maintain their "non GMO" label on their feed anymore, so they are dropping it but still producing the same feed.
According to what I know, it is $75 to $150 per product to maintain the license.

I get my feed from a local supplyer. His feed isn't organic, but he doesn't use as harsh or as many chemicals as what the big companys use and his stuff is non-gmo. One thing he does organically though is he roasts and then presses the oil out of his soybeans. In the big places they use chemicals and soak the beans to get the oil out. He says he thinks that a big reason that people have such an issue with soybeans is how they process the beans. It's much cheaper to roast them and then press the oil out opposed to soaking them, but big companys don't have the time to wait on that process. That's how they do things in Europe, where everybody actually cares about their health and the government puts actual guidelines on what goes into food. What we need is less mega companys trying to supply everyone in America, and more small businesses, who care about more than just money, supplying feed to several countys in their state. Business folk who take the time to do things a better way. It's a crying shame that we who live in such an advanced and wealthy country have to worry about eating plastic in a piece of bread from the grocery store. I can't wait for the time when we don't have to shop for "non-gmo" "organic" etc. because we already know that we don't have to worry about such absurdity. I'm able to buy a pound of feed from my supplier for $.20 a pound.

According to what I know, it is $75 to $150 per product to maintain the license.
Its not the license, its the supply chain recordkeeping. The bigger you are, the smaller that cost because you can spread it across a lot of sales, and you can transfer some of it to the suppliers as well. The legislation seems, in part, a barrier to entry by small scale competition.

Regarding organic feed generally, feeds carrying the USDA Organic stamp of approval can (and generally do) include synthetic Methionine (appears as DL-Methionine on the label). They do so because Met is so critical to chickens, particularly early development, and because organic sources high in Met levels are just a tiny fraction of the available food supply. There is a movement by some to force its removal - seems to me such persons have placed their beliefs (or fears) on a pedestal well above any concern they might have for the chicken's well being, though some few believe that by banning its use, they will force market development of organic alternatives. Its a bit naive, the market already sexists, but again, its cost prohibitive for all but the larger players.

Links available for the basis of assertions above, but not while I'm on a short lunch.

I don't know that I would necessarily look for organic chicken feed. If you can find some feed that doesn't have soy, but isn't organic, then I'd probably go with that. Just about 100% of the time "organic" means nothing. The "guidelines" in order for something to fall under the term "organic" means that even harsher chemicals can be used on the product.
Exactly. We can't even consider using "organic" chicken feed if we wanted to because we're surrounded by farmer's fields of various crops.

How does the crop/s being grown around you play into what you feed your chickens?
Because they aren't organic farmers and won't have buffer zones or enough distance between them and our property as they butt up to us on two sides. Also, our chickens free-range in those fields, as much as I try prevent it. I don't want to go organic, just saying the issues I'd be having if I wanted to.

How does the crop/s being grown around you play into what you feed your chickens?
If the surrounding fields aren't organic, and any of it spreads onto their property/is consumed by their chickens, they can't maintain their Organic status.

Same thing writ large when farmers wanting to go organic plant next to farmers using Monsanto's "Roundup Ready" products, though they are also at risk of being prosecuted by Monsanto if any of their crop tests positive for Monsanto's patented genes. (Rare - but happens just enough to stay in the media, and thus discourage risk taking).

Because they aren't organic farmers and won't have buffer zones or enough distance between them and our property as they butt up to us on two sides. Also, our chickens free-range in those fields, as much as I try prevent it. I don't want to go organic, just saying the issues I'd be having if I wanted to.
You could still provide organic feed. Try a fence to contain your birds.
If the surrounding fields aren't organic, and any of it spreads onto their property/is consumed by their chickens, they can't maintain their Organic status.

Same thing writ large when farmers wanting to go organic plant next to farmers using Monsanto's "Roundup Ready" products, though they are also at risk of being prosecuted by Monsanto if any of their crop tests positive for Monsanto's patented genes. (Rare - but happens just enough to stay in the media, and thus discourage risk taking).
I understand all that. The post confused me by not considering organic feed because of what is grown nearby.

Back
Top Bottom