Non-hatching bator...run how long before

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farmer Kitty, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    How long can you run a bator that your not using to hatch in before you need to break it down and clean it? I have eggs in the skillet bator hatching with more eggs in the Brower bator that I will hatch in the skillet bator. I have more eggs coming and I'm wondering if I can keep the Brower going without having to break it down to clean or if I need to break it down and clean it.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would try to clean it before adding more eggs, Kitty. It is a warm wet environment and any bacteria at all on the eggs that have previously been in there could take a foothold and cause future hatches to fail. Bacteria can be very nasty to get rid of in some bators too.

3. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh I'm glad you asked that question.

I tossed the eggs that were in the Genesis a couple of days ago, and will need it for hatching again in a week or so.

That gives me plenty of time to do a bleach trip on it.

Susan

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Thank you Miss P! I knew that it would need to be done I just didn't know how long I could go before I had to do it. I have eggs in there yet but, will do it before putting in more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by