Non layer?

Oct 17, 2022
Hello,
This is probably my favorite hen, Copper.
She's very friendly and always the first to come greet me every day. She normally actually likes being held and likes to jump up on my shoulder sometimes when I'm sitting on the ground. (She's starting to weigh a lot, though!)
IMG_20220912_085555.jpg

Anyway, I got her as a 6-week-old chick at the beginning of April. She is a Bignee hen which appears to be a Spanish breed of "superlayers". I've had this breed in the past. We sadly lost Penny to a predator who was new to the area and have since built a new coop and have better safeguarding measures. She was a lot like Copper and we raised her in the same way. Our other Bignee hen, Ruby, looks nothing like the others. We also got her in April, but she was around 4-5 months at the time. She is much smaller and goes broody a lot, but constantly lays (small) eggs when not broody.

IMG_20220420_141403.jpg

Ruby and Copper in April.

Ruby started laying eggs right around 5 months. I had calculated Copper to start laying in August.
In August she showed all of the signs of being ready to lay at any time. She crouches when you approach her and her waddle and comb are developed and red.

Still, we've never seen her lay an egg.
She actually goes to the nesting box for a while almost every day and often even comes out singing as if she's laid an egg, but when I go look, there are no eggs there.

About 2-3 weeks ago, she had a prolapsed vent. I was scared for her, but ended up being able to clean it and put everything back in place. She was inside with us for a day and separated outside for another day until she found a way to escape. When I found her with the others, I noticed she was prolapsed again. I started all over and separated her better, and now, about 2 weeks later, she's looked normal and hasn't had any more issues.

IMG_20221007_081444.jpg

I thought the prolapse might have been from trying to lay a first egg, but there are no signs of eggs anywhere. During the 5-6 days or so that I had her separated, she didn't lay any eggs either. (I stuck my finger inside her and didn't feel any eggs either.) The picture above shows her in her separate area during those days.

It seems so strange that she hasn't laid any eggs yet, despite having practiced in the nesting box for weeks now.

Does anybody have any idea about what might be up with her?

We only have 4 hens and our egg production isn't what we'd want...

I already have another hen (Diamond) who rarely lays and has had reproductive issues for years now. (She's almost 4 now and more of a pet. We actually saved her once by removing egg material from her abdomen with a syringe a couple of years ago. She rarely lays, and when she does, the eggs are malformed and often have weird matter within them.)
The other hen of the same breed as Diamond (Biblue) was raised with her from 6 weeks too. Shadow lays huge, perfect eggs daily still.
Ruby, the other young Bignee (just under a year old), is broody yet again. She has already gone broody 4 times this summer and she's a very stubborn broody. She does lay small eggs regularly when not broody.
And then there's Copper, but I was hoping to not have another only "pet" hen.
We ordered 3 more hens to arrive this week to help increase our egg production as our only constant layer is our 3-4-year-old, Shadow.
Over the years, all of my others have been great at laying eggs. We don't have as many feed options here in Spain, but I give them an organic feed for hens and they free range.

I sort of doubt it as Copper is very active and happy. I have had a hen who has had issues with internal laying (Diamond), so I'm pretty familiar with it. She's the one we had to save one year when the buildup of egg inside her became infected. She had the penguin stance, wouldn't eat, etc.
We were sure she would die, but decided to try to use a syringe to try to get the egg out of her and see what would happen. She had a bunch of yolk inside her that we pulled out of her abdomen.
Luckily, it seemed to be enough to help her recover. once we drained her of all we could, she seemed much better and eventually healed on her own. She's still alive years later, but doesn't lay very often, and when she does, the shells are rarely completely formed. When they are, they are spotted and rough. She also often lays soft-shelled eggs overnight sometimes. I find them under the perch in the morning.
They get calcium and the rest lay hard eggs (other than Copper who hasn't laid any yet), so I think it's just a genetic problem or something with her.

Copper continues to sit in the nesting box for a while daily. She comes out calling something out, and then goes about her business. No signs of something wrong with her- other than the non-laying.
I was hoping someone would have had the same experience and to see if their hen eventually laid or not.

I think Copper may have laid her first egg yesterday and another today. There was a tiny egg on the ground where she has been sleeping in the coop at night. (She's quite large and only occasionally likes to perch for some reason.)
Anyway, there are two that sleep there and I always recognize the eggs of the other hen and they definitely aren't hers!
So, yay! I had separated Copper for several weeks when she hurt her leg, and she was mostly inside with me, so I knew for sure that she wasn't laying. Luckily, she recovered well as she is the sweetest hen of my flock. She always lets me hold her and pet her.
She's somewhere between 10-11 months, so I guess, especially with winter, some hens are just a bit slow to lay. (I've heard that's especially true for large hens like her.)
IMG_20230125_084135.jpg

A sad update. I think I was wrong. While that egg was laid where Copper slept, I think it was the first egg of either Snowflake or Blizzard. Everyone else, much younger than Copper, is laying now successfully.
Copper was doing well- until one day last week, I found her covered in egg goo form a large soft egg. I brought her in to keep an eye on her and she was slower than usual, but also had a lot of pin feathers coming in, so I thought it was molting.
On Saturday, she stopped eating, but there is no vet to go to on the weekend. I gave her water and meant to bring her to the vet on Monday.
I gave her a bath with epsom salts, which she seemed to enjoy, and felt for an egg- but found nothing. I couldn't see anything obvious.
I made her a comfortable place in our living room and we went out to dinner. When I came home, she had already passed away. It was a huge shock for me as she seemed to be perking up a bit before we left and didn't seem to be having any major issues other than not eating.
I'm heartbroken and haven't been able to write until now as I've really been quite depressed. She was my favorite- by far. She greeted me every morning and loved to be held. She jumped on me and was funny and sweet.
I wish I could have done more. I should have tried to find some other vet or something, but I guess if it was some sort of reproductive issue, there really isn't much they could have done probably- maybe an antibiotic if she had some interior infection or something. I'm now thinking the soft huge egg was hers. (I originally thought it was Diamond's as she often has issues and sleeps next to Copper. I assumed Copper had just gotten curious and stepped/sat in it.)
It's still very difficult for me to go out to the flock- and I cry daily still. Ruby is broody this week, so she's been keeping me company inside. That helps, but I miss my Copper.

In tribute to a most beautiful, sweet, greatly missed hen...
I loved Copper so very, very much. 😭😭💔

Attachments

• IMG_20230211_102220.jpg
    IMG_20230211_102220.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220416_125343.jpg
    IMG_20220416_125343.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20221129_132506.jpg
    IMG_20221129_132506.jpg
    607.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220912_085546.jpg