Non-laying 4/5yrold chicken doing penguin walk

jess43

Hatching
Apr 8, 2021
I am desperate for help. I have had chickens for 6 years and only ever dealt with sour crop. Monday I noticed my girl Wynonna, walking a bit off. She seemed to be having trouble balancing and kept putting her wings out as she walked. She stopped laying last year, so I don't think she is egg bound. She is eating/drinking normal. I have no idea what else to do or look for. I was planning an epsom bath tonight, but got home late and she is happily resting in her nesting box, so I don't want to stress her out by yanking her out. She is my favorite chicken, please help. I am not super comfortable doing a lot with her other than the bath, mainly because I am afraid of making it worse or doing something wrong. If I need to I have the name of a local vet who will come out of I can't help her on my own. I included some pics, even when she bends to eat she keeps her tail down.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210408-182546_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210408-182546_Video Player.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20210408-182621_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210408-182621_Gallery.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20210408-182514_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210408-182514_Gallery.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20210408-182552_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210408-182552_Video Player.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 1
I have had a hen penguin walk before. For her it came and went for a few years. I believe it is often a reproductive issue. My hens are still laying at 5 years of age. Others may be able to suggest home treatment.

I have a 5 yr old Rhode Island Red (named Cora after my mother, who thinks it is hilarious that I named a chicken after her). Cora started walking like a penguin just after Christmas. I checked for egg bound, but found no egg in her. Gave her a warm epsom bath anyway, which she seemed to like.
I fixed up a small dog kennel with shavings and feed/water for her to stay in at night because our temps were below freezing. I gave her antibiotics for ten days just in case, but no improvement in the walk.
She seemed happy to be inside at night and we did this through March! She always eats and drinks and poops just fine. Got an occasional egg in the kennel.
Talked to a local vet who deals with chickens and has her own flock. She said that if it had been egg bound, that would've either resolved or killed her within a couple days. Since the antibiotics had no effect either, the vet assumes that Cora probably flew down from a high roost and injured herself and there probably isn't anything that can be done.
As long as she is still eating/drinking/pooping, and generally taking care of herself and still hanging with the rest of the flock, there is really nothing else to do. Cora sleeps on the shavings on the floor of the henhouse at night now next to our old one-eyed Silkie rooster. She may walk funny, but she's a tough old bird that just keeps on going (just like my 84 yr old mom!)

I am sorry your beloved hen is ill.

Since she stopped laying last year, she might be suffering from issues of the reproductive system. Cancer is very common in production layers and often leads to waterbelly/ascites.
Some questions for you:

• How does her poop look?
  • When did you last deworm?
  • When you feel her belly between her legs, does it feel hard or rather like a waterfilled balloon?

Back
Top Bottom