Non-Poisonous & Chicken Proof Plants

Quote:
You have to have heavy support for it. So if your runs are made with pipe or 4x4 posts you should be ok. Just don't plant it anywhere you have pipes underground. For some reason these and willows are fond of getting into pipes.

Mine love to hang out on/in/under, but not eat, pines, forsythia, wild rose (actually they like to nibble this which I think is great to watch and helps keep it pruned), and rohdedendrun (sp?).

* Sundance?? Might wanna check your area's 'unwelcome' species lists b/f going for that wisteria. I know that last time I was in areas of NC it's about as welcome as kudzu & REALLY taking over the place. :|

On the website that lists plants that are poisonous to chickens, I do not see Photinia (fraiser), and yet, regular websites list it as highly toxic. Does anyone here have the plant on their property, and have you had any problems with your birds?

Brian

Last edited:
my chickens dont eat our bleeding hearts for some reason...
bleeding_heart.jpg

You know...so many plants I want that I look up, are toxic! Wisteria, honeysuckle, etc. I'm wondering if chickens just avoid these plants. Surely there are yards filled with toxic plants that have chickens running freely about. Chives: GT irritant! Onions: ditto! Any thoughts on this?

Before reading about onions just now, I reflected on this morning when I brought out some kitchen scraps for the girls. They left the onion alone...no interest in it.

Ornamental Grasses: I like a lot of these, especially Purple Fountain Grass. BUT...can I add some to the run without it being reduced to stubble?

Brian

Last edited:
Lilac is another I have that they leave alone, as well as lavender, thyme and sage. The bleeding hearts they don't eat, but they were a little to fragile for the "power dusting" that went on and the stalks kept breaking.

Back
Top Bottom