Non-Stressful Way to Re-home Chickens?

Peep-Chicken

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Michigan
We are probably going to have to rehome our cockerels, as one is getting noisy. Problem: Every chicken gets upset when we are even holding one! We have 3 pullets. The one cockerel, SCREECHES when he isn't with his mates. They are 10 weeks. Would it maybe be less stressful when they are older? If it would be less stressful when they are older we could work they out. Thank you! :)

I would enter your coop at night and remove the offending cockeral using minimal light. Put him into a dog crate/pet carrier filled with food and water. This should keep him calm during the relocation as long as the transport is kept dark afterward. Give the rooster a few hours of light in the morning so that he can eat and drink before driving him to his new home.

I would enter your coop at night and remove the offending cockeral using minimal light.  Put him into a dog crate/pet carrier filled with food and water.  This should keep him calm during the relocation as long as the transport is kept dark afterward.  Give the rooster a few hours of light in the morning so that he can eat and drink before driving him to his new home.

Thank you :D! I will try this when we rehome him

I would enter your coop at night and remove the offending cockeral using minimal light. Put him into a dog crate/pet carrier filled with food and water. This should keep him calm during the relocation as long as the transport is kept dark afterward. Give the rooster a few hours of light in the morning so that he can eat and drink before driving him to his new home.

Thank you
big_smile.png
! I will try this when we rehome him

Hi Peep_Chicken ,
I have some roos to re-home and was wondering how well this worked for you ?

Hi Peep_Chicken ,
    I have some roos to re-home and was wondering how well this worked for you ?

Oh hello, sorry just saw this now.

We did rehome him when was about 15 weeks. It was a bit less stressful as he was older but he was still a bit stressed. Though, removing him at night was a great idea, he didn't screech as much and calmed down by the next evening. I would defiantly recommend it. Good luck to you :)

Oh hello, sorry just saw this now.

We did rehome him when was about 15 weeks. It was a bit less stressful as he was older but he was still a bit stressed. Though, removing him at night was a great idea, he didn't screech as much and calmed down by the next evening. I would defiantly recommend it. Good luck to you
smile.png
Thank you :) and thank you for this thread! We just took two of our three roos from the coop tonight ( they are between 12 and 13 weeks ) and put them in large open wire type dog carriers next to each other and covered them kennels just a bit so even though they are separated they are kind of together still. Both are snuggled in with with food and water. So far all is well. ( I will check on them every so often through out the night an be sure all stays well. ) Will let you know how it goes. I really hope it helps us to transport them to their new homes with as little stress as possible .
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Thank you :) and thank you for this thread!  We just took two of our three roos from the coop tonight ( they are between 12 and 13 weeks ) and put them in large open wire type dog carriers next to each other and covered them kennels just a bit so even though they are separated they are kind of  together still.  Both are snuggled in with  with food and water.  So far all is well. ( I will check on them every so often through out the night an be sure all stays well. ) Will let you know how it goes. I really hope it helps us to transport them  to their new homes with as little stress as possible . :fl :fl :fl

Good to hear its going well. Good luck! :)

Good to hear its going well. Good luck!
smile.png

This worked beautifully! Both roos were re-homed without incident and arrived at their destinations, calm and quiet and not stressed ! both little boys who received new pets were able to get to know tier roos and love on them right away! it was an awesome transition for all involved and now Niki and MJ each have a flock of girls to over see and a little boy to love them . Bless you both for this thread and the transfer tip. I can't say thank you enough !

Back
Top Bottom