non verbal child

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Sillystunt, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Well the other day i took in a non verbal child for respite( vaction time given to foster parents). He will be 3 and is non verbal for the most part. I would just like to say how beautiful this child is. the lack of ability to communicate must be so fustrating yet he is always smiling. He does certain things to get what he wants and i totally understand him. I have gotten him to say some words with severe speech delays.

He loves my kids, chickens & us. He keeps calling me mommy and tuggin on my shirt. I pick him up and he swipes the side of my face and hugs me. WELL................now i find myself not wanting to give him back!!! LOL I wonder if i can keep him since he is hard to have as a foster kid. Most won't take the time to help him or teach him. I found my sign language book for kids and i taught him drink and food. I feel like he should learn all these and that i should teach him as much as i can. Maybe i will make a copy and send it home to the NEW (1 month) foster family???? OR just refuse to give him back..........................lol!!!

He is amazing and has changed me in the short time i have had him!!!! He truly is a blessing..................

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Aww! Poor little guy! [​IMG]

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Hmmm... wonder if you could apply for him to come live with you? Especially if he's moving again in 1 month?

4. hongyush2008

hongyush2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    shenzhen
    Quote:Yeach,a child is a great gift that god give us which make us laugh and cry,hoped and worried...

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    i don't have the license for more than 5 kids or i would have him! The new foster family has had him for 1 month but his clothes are small and he was really dirty when he came. i already complained to his case manager. i found about 4 oufits for him outta my kids drawers and he even came with not enough diapers!!!

kinda used to that but still..........................................

6. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Read about crystal and indigo children. Interesting reading.

Micah

7. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    It sounds like he has really bonded to you and your family (and farm!), as though that is where he his meant to be. Maybe they would make and exception?.................... He sounds like an amazing little guy.

8. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I am heartbroken for this little boy. Is there anyway there can be an exception made? My parents were Foster Parent when I was growing up. The system was broken then and I think it is even worse, now. I commend you for what you do. You're made of good stuff. I wish you and the little guy all the best.

9. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Good idea on the sign language my grand daughter does not talk we don't know why we have been teaching her sign and as we teach her sign she starts to say more words. Studies have shown that kids that learn sign end up with a better spoken language skills good luck wish they would make it so you could keep this little guy. Maybe this is a sign from some where.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    At the very least, talk to his case worker about wanting to add him to your foster family, but that you would need to be licensed for an additional child--she may know of a way to do it, or be able to pull the right strings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by