non verbal child

Sillystunt

Master of the Silly
11 Years
Jul 11, 2008
Winter Haven, FL
Well the other day i took in a non verbal child for respite( vaction time given to foster parents). He will be 3 and is non verbal for the most part. I would just like to say how beautiful this child is. the lack of ability to communicate must be so fustrating yet he is always smiling. He does certain things to get what he wants and i totally understand him. I have gotten him to say some words with severe speech delays.

He loves my kids, chickens & us. He keeps calling me mommy and tuggin on my shirt. I pick him up and he swipes the side of my face and hugs me. WELL................now i find myself not wanting to give him back!!! LOL I wonder if i can keep him since he is hard to have as a foster kid. Most won't take the time to help him or teach him. I found my sign language book for kids and i taught him drink and food. I feel like he should learn all these and that i should teach him as much as i can. Maybe i will make a copy and send it home to the NEW (1 month) foster family???? OR just refuse to give him back..........................lol!!!

He is amazing and has changed me in the short time i have had him!!!! He truly is a blessing..................

Aww! Poor little guy!
sad.png

i don't have the license for more than 5 kids or i would have him! The new foster family has had him for 1 month but his clothes are small and he was really dirty when he came. i already complained to his case manager. i found about 4 oufits for him outta my kids drawers and he even came with not enough diapers!!!

kinda used to that but still..........................................

It sounds like he has really bonded to you and your family (and farm!), as though that is where he his meant to be. Maybe they would make and exception?.................... He sounds like an amazing little guy.

I am heartbroken for this little boy. Is there anyway there can be an exception made? My parents were Foster Parent when I was growing up. The system was broken then and I think it is even worse, now. I commend you for what you do. You're made of good stuff. I wish you and the little guy all the best.

Good idea on the sign language my grand daughter does not talk we don't know why we have been teaching her sign and as we teach her sign she starts to say more words. Studies have shown that kids that learn sign end up with a better spoken language skills good luck wish they would make it so you could keep this little guy. Maybe this is a sign from some where.

At the very least, talk to his case worker about wanting to add him to your foster family, but that you would need to be licensed for an additional child--she may know of a way to do it, or be able to pull the right strings.

Back
Top Bottom