NOO!!!.. My baby can't walk!?!?! ~PICS~

Echoes

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Utah
My chick just hatch and he can't stand. He can only lay on his back and kick. On one foot his toes have a little curlage going on. And his other leg is crooked to the side (towards his other leg), and the toes on that leg are kind of crooked and my alittle bent backwards.

What should I do. It's breaking my heart.

100_3580.jpg

100_3579.jpg

100_3578.jpg

I really can't get clear photo's. I tried like a million times.

how long has it been sence he hatched? sometimes it may take 4 or 5 hours for them to get there footing to where they will stand up. and you could do a search on spade leg and spradle foot to see if that is what he has. william

I posted this about 5-10 mins after he hatched. There is definetly something wrong with his legs tohugh. I am sure of it.

Well. She's able to get her legs up under her. But they still look alittle crooked. And she has major curling on one foot.

I was gonna wait till she was dry to tape her toesstraight. Should I do it sooner though?

When she is all dry, make little booties out of tape for her/him and read up on the posts here for spradle leg. Great info on helping them.

PS - remember no living creature really is born and jumps to run that second. Give them time before panic sets in, their entire existence to the point of hatch has been curled up in a little ball.
smile.png

Last edited:
my RIR roo (slim) couldnt walk or stand when he hatched either,, i took him in a washcloth a few times a day & held him up with my thumb & first finger(made a ring) for his neck for ballance & he did fine inna couple days, now slim is catchin the pullets for mating.

They dont hatch with the ability to stand up right away... I know its exciting, but patience is the key. She doesn't need tape or booties at this point. She needs time... her toes are curled and her legs are weak because she's been pent up in an eggshell for 21 days. Its going to take about 24 hours before she looks normal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom