Noob chicken owner trying to gender mixed breeds

May I add that, at least in the pic, this one seems to have some male-ish feathers on their wing/ lower hackle area?
F1D4961F-A2E7-48DD-8DC5-A7E8F41A74A4.jpeg

If “he” is a “she”, what can I do to stop her from crowing, or speed up the process?
Honestly, just give her time. Nothing else you can really do.

Some people bring them in at night and put them out in the morning after crowing stops. I personally wouldn't worry about it. It will stop in time. If you get a complaint, then kindly explain what's happening and ask for forgiveness until she stops being confused.

I tried bringing Stormy inside in the evening, put him/her in a cage with some food and water. Room to move but low enough to stop any crowing. Totally flipped out on me, was pecking at the bars of the cage making heaps of noise, overturned the water bowl. Was so unhappy and stressed out, I didn’t want to keep her/him in there.

I initially got chickens to give me a responsibility and bring me joy to help me get up in the morning. I have crippling anxiety and serious depression so much so that I can’t go about daily or normal life without extreme difficulties. Although my neighbours may not mind, as you say (which I doubt), I have had severe panic attacks over the situation and the worry is making me very unstable. I’m not sure if I can last another month or so with this uncertainty, and deal with the crowing. I’m so scared, and I love Stormy dearly. So much so that when they were younger and our coop was less protected, when a python got in and swallowed my oldest chicken whole, I ran in crying and carried the rest of my babies out while it happened.

I would do anything for them, but my mental health is my weakness and I’m very stressed out. I’m 17 years old and very vulnerable, and I don’t have to confidence to deal with this situation and be certain everything will be okay.

Thank you so much for your help and sticking through this with, especially you Overo Mare, and sorry for panicking and probably making things worse, however I just don’t know what to do. Sorry for being overwhelmed, this is just a lot to deal with in my current state.

I tried bringing Stormy inside in the evening, put him/her in a cage with some food and water. Room to move but low enough to stop any crowing. Totally flipped out on me, was pecking at the bars of the cage making heaps of noise, overturned the water bowl. Was so unhappy and stressed out, I didn’t want to keep her/him in there.

I initially got chickens to give me a responsibility and bring me joy to help me get up in the morning. I have crippling anxiety and serious depression so much so that I can’t go about daily or normal life without extreme difficulties. Although my neighbours may not mind, as you say (which I doubt), I have had severe panic attacks over the situation and the worry is making me very unstable. I’m not sure if I can last another month or so with this uncertainty, and deal with the crowing. I’m so scared, and I love Stormy dearly. So much so that when they were younger and our coop was less protected, when a python got in and swallowed my oldest chicken whole, I ran in crying and carried the rest of my babies out while it happened.

I would do anything for them, but my mental health is my weakness and I’m very stressed out. I’m 17 years old and very vulnerable, and I don’t have to confidence to deal with this situation and be certain everything will be okay.

Thank you so much for your help and sticking through this with, especially you Overo Mare, and sorry for panicking and probably making things worse, however I just don’t know what to do. Sorry for being overwhelmed, this is just a lot to deal with in my current state.
Do not apologize for your anxiety. I understand.

How about we try looking at it this way...

Can you pinpoint exactly what is giving you anxiety? I know it's because of the crowing. What about it though? Let's try and work through it.

Do not apologize for your anxiety. I understand.

How about we try looking at it this way...

Can you pinpoint exactly what is giving you anxiety? I know it's because of the crowing. What about it though? Let's try and work through it.
The fact that the crowing is loud and obnoxious, and my neighbours who are very close to us can definitely hear it. I hate inconveniencing or bothering people. If I have to take emergency pills to even go out, imagine my stress if I feel as though I’m being judged. Our neighbours next to us are very friendly, which makes me feel even worse for waking them up in the morning. However, I don’t think the people behind us would be so forgiving. I’m terrified Stormy’s going to get a complaint, and I can’t deal with confrontation. It’s a whole heap of what ifs, but it’s enough to incapacitate me mentally and send me into a spiral.

Sorry if I sounds like I’m being dramatic, but I’ve been in hospitals for this more than once and am barely coping back at home. I just want everything to be all right for once.

The fact that the crowing is loud and obnoxious, and my neighbours who are very close to us can definitely hear it. I hate inconveniencing or bothering people. If I have to take emergency pills to even go out, imagine my stress if I feel as though I’m being judged. Our neighbours next to us are very friendly, which makes me feel even worse for waking them up in the morning. However, I don’t think the people behind us would be so forgiving. I’m terrified Stormy’s going to get a complaint, and I can’t deal with confrontation. It’s a whole heap of what ifs, but it’s enough to incapacitate me mentally and send me into a spiral.

Sorry if I sounds like I’m being dramatic, but I’ve been in hospitals for this more than once and am barely coping back at home. I just want everything to be all right for once.
Have you spoken to your parents about the situation?

Have you spoken to your parents about the situation?
Yes, many times. Initially they fully believed Stormy was a rooster, and were helping me find a good home for him/her, but they’re more uncertain now. I’m not getting any directional advice from them and I don’t think they really know what to do. I’m the one who deals with the 4-6 am wake-up calls and stresses out every morning. I’m so sorry to bother you but I just don’t know how to deal with this. I just to have happy, healthy hens that bring me joy and security instead of stress. I’m sorry to bother you so much :/

Back
Top Bottom