Noob from Nerdwood

Quote:
Welcome to ByC, Jimmy!
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio
frow.gif

Being a farm person, I kinda laughed about your relatives eating the rooster. Around here the roosters usually get culled first. Farmers look at things from a different point of view. I don't even name my chickens. I may call them things, but what I call them is not really a name.
gig.gif
Watch those Hawks, I lost a young roo last fall to a hawk, well, we did plan to eat him anyway, so the hawk just beat us to it.

If we do lose a chicken, it will most likely be to a raccoon, coyote or Red Fox; those are the varmints I'm most concerned about. I'm definitely going to have the chickens fully enclosed, but need to secure all forms of entry, so I'm reading what others have done and what works before I start drawing plans. I do expect I'll need advice mostly on that, on breed and on size. We're planning on having seven hens.

OMG... there's so many from Ohio. Thanks 4H, I've posted in that thread now. I tried reading it, but I fell asleep twice. \\o/

Welcome! Our first RIR rooster was supposed to be a hen. We thought he was neat so we kept him around. It was so fun to hear him find his voice and all that. Then he got too big for his britches. One day I heard my 5 yr old in the yard screamin bloody murder. He was chasin her down! Thankfully she froze and made his game of chase less fun which afforded me the chance to end the game for that day. We learned a valuable lesson that day which is what life all about...learnin! Anyway, Welcome to BYC:)

Hi

I have 4 coops - 2 are a frame catawabe and two are pallet coops raised up off the ground about 3 feet.
Paint the wood and use linoleum for the flooring- Think about cleaning and having to stoop and bend. The pallet coops are easier to clean. We hinged doors on front and back so I can push the waste through - linoleum makes cleaning much faster - paint keeps wood from bending much. Look through and learn good lessons from the rest of our mistakes. I raised them up to help protect them from predators and because I don't want to bend and stoop when cleaning. I have good ventilation and the girls are safe from drafts. I use deep litter on top of hay - makes cleaning a breeze!

Caroline

Back
Top Bottom