1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Noob Question: About breeding.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by The Chicken Lover 11, Apr 11, 2011.

1. The Chicken Lover 11

The Chicken Lover 11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Ireland
    I diddnt know where else to post this. [​IMG] [​IMG]

But anyways, Im a total noob with breeding and was wondering if anyone could tell me EVERYTHING I need and EVERYTHING I need to do step by step, my Father and Mom know how but they want me to learn and I think I can with your help. I need to know everything , also what breeds are best big brown egg layers, and are hy-brid or purebreds are better , at breeding and in general etc. I know I'm a noob [​IMG]

But I really want to see nice fluffy chicks [​IMG]
    CUTTEEEE [​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    [​IMG] I'm afraid I can't answer all of your questions, but here's a friendly bump to the top of the forum, anyways [​IMG]

As far as brown egg layers, I adore my Rhode Island Reds--they give me nice, medium to xx-large brown eggs probably at least five days out of the week. Now they're three years old and still going strong! Probably three to five eggs a week from each. Orpington's aren't a bad choice--many use them as dual egg and meat birds, and they're usually very friendly.

Surprisingly, many Easter Eggers lay huge eggs!

Leghorns, if you can stand hyper, loud chickens are fabulous layers, too, though the batch I had did have some egg-laying problems later in life.

Hybrids and purebreds are not necessarily better than the other--it all depends on what you want. It's easier to get your hands on purebreds unless you have a local farmer who is willing to give you a few chicks.

Hope this helped at least a little bit. Good luck!

3. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    [​IMG] check out the 101 at the page 1 of the forum, quite a few tips there. Good luck with your future chicks, they're a lot of fun.

I also have RIR (8 of them) and they lay me nice size light to medium brown eggs, about 5 a week per bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by