NOOB question

I get it now, to keep them warm you had to unintentionally give them Co2. Being in the states, this type of situation doesn't usually occur. What can help that in your future hatches is to add a heat sink to your incubator to hold temps for longer. In other words, in any space not used for eggs or air circulation, put in jars or baggies of water as they will keep the temperature up for longer when the power does go out.

Quote:
Yes it is. Ken bought a digital thermometer yesterday because he can't read the one that came with the bator. It was 100 so he lowered them temp - now it has been 97.9 ALL NIGHT!!!!! He is gonna ruin the first hatch. He is living and breathing by the book that came with the bator. I told him people HERE have experience!!!!!!!!!!
barnie.gif

People here have some experience but the people at Brinsea make a living at it. The smaller the swing, the higher the hatch percentage.

Did you run the incubator and let it stabilize before adding the eggs? That is the time to learn how much adjustment is needed. However, drop to 97.9 early in the development isn't a problem at all. Just try to have it settled out (peferably between 99.0 and 100.0) before the second week or you might start having development issues.

Also be aware that most thermometers are only accurate +/-1.2 degrees so you really don't know that precisely where you are at, unless you have calibrated your thermometer recently (or purchased a thermometer that was more expensive than your incubator).

We bought a digital thermometer with a humidity thing on it and all has been PERFECT. steady between 99.9 and 100.1 with 35-40% humidity. I am sure you understand the nail biting of first time hatching!

Quote:
11/24 - we candle this coming Wednesday to see if the turkey eggs are any good. I have been told they are too fat to mate.
hmm.png

Hopefully they are good! Your turkey was sure trying to get the girls attention that night we were there. He was trying to snuggle up to her and everything.
lol.png
Hopefully, he worked his magic.
wink.png

Oh...ours are due the 27th/28th-ish. (We gave her the eggs at night).

Last edited:
Quote:
11/24 - we candle this coming Wednesday to see if the turkey eggs are any good. I have been told they are too fat to mate.
hmm.png

Hopefully they are good! Your turkey was sure trying to get the girls attention that night we were there. He was trying to snuggle up to her and everything.
lol.png
Hopefully, he worked his magic.
wink.png

Oh...ours are due the 27th/28th-ish. (We gave her the eggs at night).

We set ours around 6pm which means we will probably wake up to them hatched.

Well that's exciting! Oh and I figured out how to up the humidity with mine during the hatch.

Try to keep the space directly below the vent hole clear of eggs. Then you can get a syringe (I have a 50cc) and squeeze warm water into it during the hatch without having to open it up.

I have been practicing during the incubation and it works well.

Good luck on Wed.

I had two early hatches because I couldn't get my hovabator lower. It was about 100.8 the entire time and I think that's why I lost some at the end.

Quote:
hmm.png

gig.gif
Where there's a will there's a way! Good luck with your hatch!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom