Noob questions....

kllrbee

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 23, 2013
Hey all
New here..first post. Looks like loads of great info here. I was hoping I could get some help or opinions from you all.
First off....never had chickens before so I'm new at all this.

Friend of a friend is moving and needs to get rid of coop/run and 5 chickens. They said they are all diffrent breeds and are about a year old.

The coop is constructed like a tank and is super heavy. Its 52" long 55" wide (incuding 3 10" boxes) 57" high. 2 roosts...plenty of ventilation. Run is 4x8x3 high.

Is this enough room?

I was either planning to build a 12x12 fenced enclosure or let them just have run of the 5 acres. Depends on how my dog reacts to them.

Plus I have lots of critters on my poperty....foxes, raccoons, hawks, etc.

Also...both me and the wife work second shift....so we vould let them out of the coop/run early morn but they would have to go back in around 1. Do u think that is too long to be cooped up?

Btw I'm IL/WI border so it gets cold here with a good amount of snow.

Really just looking for opinions as I'm new to all this.

Thnx

welcome-byc.gif
Sounds really good so far. Personally with your work scheduling and predator problems, I would build the 12x12 enclosure. You can always build a door in the wall to allow them to range on your days off if you'd like.
The problem with chickens being cooped up for long periods of time is boredom that may lead to fights and the large amount of clean up for you. Chickens are poop machines which you will soon discover!

Last edited:
I would suggest the 12x12 fenced area too. Adding that to the run you are getting with them, will be a nice big area for 5 of them to stay out of each others uh.... feathers. Good luck. Oh, and welcome.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom