Noobie here in Central IN.

Congrats on deciding to get chickens! Sounds like you're doing a great job planning and getting things all ready.

You mentioned a roosting pole. Actually chickens preferred(we asked them) two by fours with the four side up. Chickens don't grab at the roost like parrots etc. They lay their feet flat and then lay on them to keep them warm. You don't want roosts above a nesting area unless you have poop trays under them. Rule of thumb is 4-5 sq.feet per bird in the coop (not including nests boxes and roosts.) and 10 sq.feet per bird in the outdoor run. Have you checked out the coops section. You might also want to read up on predators and controlling them by whatever means possible.
welcome-byc.gif
X2.

Another breed you might want to look lnto are Dominiques. They are one of my favorite breeds. I have one hen that is about 7 years old, and she still amazingly enough, manages to lay an egg a day. They are calm, docile birds. I hope to get more of them in the future!

You're welcome. That's a nice mix, although be aware that Rhode Island Reds are sometimes aggressive. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. They are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (like Orpingtons), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. We'll look forward to your update. :eek:)

Okay, well after speaking with our neighbors who just placed an order from McMurrays and who were kind enough to simply call them and " add on " we're gonna start with only six birds. Two each of three varieties, Buff Orps / Barred Rocks and Lacey Wyandottes and they'll arrive on May 11th. We're excited to get them and get started!!!

Paul

You mentioned a roosting pole. Actually chickens preferred(we asked them) two by fours with the four side up. Chickens don't grab at the roost like parrots etc. They lay their feet flat and then lay on them to keep them warm. You don't want roosts above a nesting area unless you have poop trays under them. Rule of thumb is 4-5 sq.feet per bird in the coop (not including nests boxes and roosts.) and 10 sq.feet per bird in the outdoor run. Have you checked out the coops section. You might also want to read up on predators and controlling them by whatever means possible.
welcome-byc.gif

Okay, so a 2x4 set so they rest on the 1 1/2 portion.....Check!!! The roosting (2x4) is set out approx. 24" from the nesting boxes and is about the same height, should that change? And how many roosting 2xs doI need for six (6) birds? Will be using straw on the floor and pine bedding in the nesting boxes....sound okay? In regards to predators, yes we have them....Red Fox / Coyote
( however we also have an extended neighbor who's killed over 50 or more in the last couple years as he's a farmer and has a depredation permit to do so. We also have Owl and Hawks etc. so yes I will be keeping all of this in mind as we move forward. Thanks for the warm welcome and the sage advice. :)

Paul

Okay, well after speaking with our neighbors who just placed an order from McMurrays and who were kind enough to simply call them and " add on " we're gonna start with only six birds. Two each of three varieties, Buff Orps / Barred Rocks and Lacey Wyandottes and they'll arrive on May 11th. We're excited to get them and get started!!!

Paul
I've ordered chicks from Murray McMurray on a number of occasions and have been happy with their birds and service. You're getting an excellent mix of breeds. I've had all three of them at one time or another over the years (still have Buff Orps in my flock), and they are all hardy, generally docile (especially Buff Orps), and all good layers of large, brown eggs. :eek:)

Okay, so a 2x4 set so they rest on the 1 1/2 portion.....Check!!! The roosting (2x4) is set out approx. 24" from the nesting boxes and is about the same height, should that change? And how many roosting 2xs doI need for six (6) birds? Will be using straw on the floor and pine bedding in the nesting boxes....sound okay? In regards to predators, yes we have them....Red Fox / Coyote
( however we also have an extended neighbor who's killed over 50 or more in the last couple years as he's a farmer and has a depredation permit to do so. We also have Owl and Hawks etc. so yes I will be keeping all of this in mind as we move forward. Thanks for the warm welcome and the sage advice. :)

Paul
You're welcome. It sounds like you have things well in hand. As far as predators go, just be sure and use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire as there are too many predators that can tear through chicken wire, or squeeze through the openings in the mesh. There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/11-tips-for-predator-proofing-chickens.html on protecting your chickens from predators. Good luck.

You're welcome. It sounds like you have things well in hand. As far as predators go, just be sure and use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire as there are too many predators that can tear through chicken wire, or squeeze through the openings in the mesh. There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/11-tips-for-predator-proofing-chickens.html on protecting your chickens from predators. Good luck.

Michael, Thanks Much for the link on predator proofing!!!! It is a mini treasure trove of ideas that seem to have been proven to WORK!! I already have a serious metal grate screwed over the window from the inside however after watching the video I can see where a snake could still crawl through it.....So I'll be covering the outside with 1/4" hrdware cloth!!!! And the trail cam.....what a Great Idea.
Maybe I'll go with the Chicken Chicks idea and use my May birthday as a ploy to get mine early ( wearing a sheepish grin ). We currently have a "heavy duty " 10'x10' dog kennel up close to our barn that does nothing but sit there, we're entertaining moving it to the coup to use as our " ready made run " it already has a hinged door and being in construction I have been storing some (8") steel studs on top which I will probably continue to use to keep climbers and flyers OUT. About the only additional thing to do will be adding 1/4" hrdware cloth to the bottom and bury out from the edge for " diggers ". Perhaps if we're lucky we'll get all of this done BEFORE our chicks arrive.....Again thank you and others for the warm welcome and sincere efforts in helping others like me get started!!!!!!!

Paul D.

Michael, Thanks Much for the link on predator proofing!!!! It is a mini treasure trove of ideas that seem to have been proven to WORK!! I already have a serious metal grate screwed over the window from the inside however after watching the video I can see where a snake could still crawl through it.....So I'll be covering the outside with 1/4" hrdware cloth!!!! And the trail cam.....what a Great Idea.

Paul D.
You're welcome.

Well my fellow BYCer's my wife and I went down to Mooresville, IN. today to meet and check out fellow Hoosier Patrick's BYC setup and see some of the different breeds of chickens he raised. Let it be said that he has MANY different breeds ( too many for this FOG to remember ) as well as several of those varieties either incubating or in chick form already ranging from 1-5 weeks in age. To make a long story shorter....we went home with two three week old Amer. Bresse's ( we just couldn't wait for our chicks from McMurray's hatchery to arrive. Ruh Roh....it's .........started!!!!

Paul

Back
Top Bottom