NOOO!! Accident with quail feed D:

magicpigeon

Songster
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
I've just realised that I've been feeding my quails chick starter instead of their gamebird feed for a week.
he.gif
Will they not reach their full size? I was considering butchering at some stage if I got a male.. but they're tiny as of now (3 weeks) and I'm fearing my mistake will keep them midgety forever...
hit.gif
hide.gif

I've been feeding mine a 20% Chick Starter all along. They're just fine. In fact, I just hatched 15 out of 20 eggs of theirs. They started laying at about the 8 week mark and they all have good size. I wouldn't worry too terribly much.
cool.png

i wouldn't worry about it as long as you switch it out for the proper 28-30% of protein now that you've realized the mistake.

@Carriagestone....20% protein is MUCH to low, especially for breeders.Also be sure your feed is NON - medicated as this will cause issues in the long run for your breeders.

GBS is only good for the first 6 weeks if you have Coturnix. After that you should go to lower protein. Cbbq (buttons) can go to a maintenance after 8-9 weeks.

Quote:
Nope!

You can feed coturnix 30% GBS from hatch until the ripe old age of 5 years+ of age. I have done it!

You can feed your buttons, BOBS, ZAMBIAN GUTTERSNIPES, what ever you like!

You can feed COTURNIX quail 30% GBS for ever! Well...at least for about 5 years. After that, then you should ask folks that have 5+ year old coturnix.

Pull a mod on me here, and I will ask....What's your oldest coturnix? My oldest is 5 years old and she gets 30% gbs. THE SAME AS SHE GOT 5 YEARS AGO

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Nope!

You can feed coturnix 30% GBS from hatch until the ripe old age of 5 years+ of age. I have done it!

You can feed COTURNIX quail 30% GBS for ever! Well...at least for about 5 years. After that, then you should ask folks that have 5+ year old coturnix.

Pull a mod on me here, and I will ask....What's your oldest coturnix? My oldest is 5 years old and she gets 30% gbs. THE SAME AS SHE GOT 5 YEARS AGO

I hope you're trying to be facetious here.
hmm.png

Quote:
Nope!

Uh oh! I have yet to see anyone talk to Quail Lady like that! I vote for Quail Lady's answer!

Oh wow, didn't mean to cause ruckus
sad.png
my oldest coturnix is 5 going on 6 years, I started with Stella and he is alive and kicking
smile.png
I have some birds older from other quailies.

But I have gone on by books and then reality, and then followed people. I then talk to universities in praque and the UK and compare. And seeing how I only loose birds to predators, I must be doing something right. Now if I start losing birds due elsewise I will let you know. I hold no secrets.

Back
Top Bottom