Noooo..... My dogs.........

ducksarecool12

Songster
9 Years
Jul 27, 2010
oklahoma
I have two (Brother and sister) chocolate labs that are about a year old. They have been staying outside except they get put in their cages in the house at night. I'm wanting them to be indoor dogs but the problem is the chickens.... Right now I have two 2week old silkie chicks in the brooder and 16 more eggs due to hatch in 12 days. The brooder is in my room and its where the dogs will spend the most of the time (80%) with me. Today I put each dog on a leash and brought them in one at a time to see the chicks. The female dog (Kya) went crazy!!! She jumped up on the wire and tried to get them. When I tried to put her out I literally had to drag her to the door and toss her out! She then stood at the door and barked for an hour.. The male (Moose) reacted a little different. He tried to get them through the wire and barked at them and was bowing, but went easier going outside. Either way they are going to have to get along with the chickens because eventually the chickens are going to go out to the coop. I don't know what to do!!! I'm thinking maybe a hot wire around the coop but that's my last resort. And I'm always going to be hatching so there is always going to be chicks in my brooder.... When they see a bird in the yard they chase it and barke at it till it flys away. I really need help! If I have to get rid of one of them it going to be a tough decision, I've spent thousands of dollars on all my chicken equipment and I've raised my pups since they were 6weeks old! Any and all advice is appreciated!!!!!!!!

I also have a chocolate lab. He's a bird dog. Bred to retrieve . . . BIRDS. It's their nature to be interested in the birds and I'm not sure that - even with the best training - you can overcome years and years of breeding and nature.

My guy is 11 years old and listens to every command. He's never bothered our girls, we have 3 in a pen outside. Has never attacked. Never tried to dig. Never gone after them. But I remember him at age 1 and they don't listen too well at that age. My guy has 11 yrs. of training under his collar.

Keep them separated by a pen and make sure you're outside with him to instill that the birds are off-limits. They'll be more able to understand and obey as they get older. There are some on here that are great dog trainers and may be able to give you pointers but chocolate labs are known to be a little hard-headed. Yes, they aim to please. But I still wouldn't trust them around my birds, there's just too much breeding and instinct in there.

On the other hand, a few years ago he brought me a butterfly he caught. In his mouth. It was unharmed. Bird dogs usually have "soft mouths" and aren't rough with what they are bringing back. They are good-natured and sweet. But, still, I wouldn't trust even my old guy around the birds free-ranging.

There are great articles in the "learning center ". You need to start slow - 1 dog at a time - *leashed* & start socializing them with the birds. This can be frustrating but its worth the training. There are different strategies for every owner and dog. Try what works best for you & good luck :)

also, you don't just bring the dogs right up to the birds. Go close enough that the dog first notices the birds.

Also, since the dogs aren't used to living 100% of the time in the house, they are going to be more amped up in there anyway. So you have a two-fold problem.

Start by getting the dogs well exercised and definitely work them one at a time.

here is my usual procedure for working with dogs and birds
You already know that he is excited with the chicks. Find the closest distance that the dog first notices the birds in the brooder. This might be in another room if he is one to constantly glance at the door. Put your dog on leash and get some extra special treats that he only gets for this work - bacon, grilled chicken (no spices!), hot dog chunks, etc. When the dog glances toward the birds, say his name and "leave it" If he looks at you, give him a treat - if he doesn't, give a light pop on the leash (think tap on the shoulder). When he looks at you reward him.
You can also teach him "watch me" the same way. You can practice this at random times though out the day. If you have a couple extra minutes while you're watching TV or whatever, just say his name, pause, "watch me" When he makes eye contact, then reward him. You can also (if you get in the habit of keeping a small treat in your pockets) catch him looking towards you say "watch me" and then reward. Or just praise him verbally.

Once the dog is reliably paying attention to you and the birds at a distance, move a little bit closer. If he absolutely blows you off, you're too close. Just back up a bit and begin again. Eventually you will be right amongst the birds. You can then start at a distance or with a long line (20' leash or so) and work from there. I never ever leave my dogs/chickens loose unattended together.
I don't even trust Rayden
I don't mean I constantly hover over the dogs when they are out with the birds, but I am in the area and aware of what they are doing. Think of it as a small child. Even though you've taught them not to play with matches, would you leave them alone in the house with matches scattered all over the floor?

The most important part of the training is to set the dog up to succeed. Don't give him a chance to chase the birds. Don't give him a chance to disobey.

ETA: The best thing about teaching "leave it" is that it works for everything. Drop something on the floor and don't want the dogs to touch it? "leave it" See dog running toward a snake? "leave it" Lots of training and work, but it pays off!
Of course, some dogs just can't be trusted off-leash. Period. They are just too focused on the birds. In that case, just confine the dog when the birds are out.

How much training have these dogs had? They should not have to be "dragged off" of anything if they really respected your authority. Sounds to me like it's time to go back to boot camp; also a secure brooder setup in the house, and likely good fencing outside. I use a big airline crate as an indoor brooder; it's been dog safe for 15 years here. My current two dogs were adults from shelters and would love to kill the chickens. The dogs and birds are fenced apart outside. Puppies I have raised in the past, all bird dogs, learned at an early age to leave the chickens alone! Mary

Build a Fort Knox coop so they can't break into it. Your dogs sound like they are very prey driven. You might be able to train them not to attack your birds, but it will take a lot of time and patience. I built my coop and run to withstand anything but a bear-and I live in the middle of our small town. I have a Great Pyrenees that was given to us because she killed chickens. It has taken 2 1/2 years, but she is now a chicken guard, no longer a killer.

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24453&p=1

There is a 2' wire apron on the ground all the way around the coop and run. I studied the predator section for several months before building my coop. We all need to realize that sometimes, our very own beloved dogs are our chickens worst enemy. I hope you can train your dogs to accept your chickens, at least enough to not attack them. On the brooder situation, you might have to "fence" it off in some fashion to keep your dogs away from it.

A lot depends on the dogs and their desire to please you versus their desire to "hunt" the easy prey you have placed under their noses. You may not ever be able to make the dogs accept the chickens, so you might just have to keep them separate forever. I wish you the best, be sure to come back and update your progress.

Since your dogs are fenced apart, i dont think you should be telling the asker that she/he had bad experience with "dragging the dogs out". Look at yours for example

Thanks for the nice response, Guess. My dogs will "leave it" when told to do so, but aren't safe by themselves with birds. I also mentioned that the dog crate brooder has worked very will here, and my dogs ignore the chicks who are in it at all times. I haven't spent the time training this pair, for various reasons, than back when I was showing, training, and hunt testing in years gone by. Mary

Back
Top Bottom