Nora is Broody-First Time-over 2 yrs old

I can tell you all that it IS her DHs fault and I have proof!

HPIM7196.jpg

HPIM7197.jpg

That is not speckledhen giving in to her and snuggling.

Cyn...I am going to be setting those eggs in a couple of days. I called Kathy in a panic that they would go bad waiting on my bator so I am borrowing one of hers...she is mailing it today. LOL I told DH and he just shook his head and said "They are not all going to stay with us are they?"
gig.gif

Well, it seems that Nora has passed on her broodiness to Panda. Panda turned 2 yrs old last month, a month younger than Nora is. She is a BR/blue Ameraucana cross and is clucking her heart out and screaming like some psycho-hen. DH took her out of a nest tonight and she is mad because he covered it up. If she's nutso tomorrow, she has to go in the broody pen since Nora refused. I can't have two broody wenches taking up two of the three favored nests in the main coop.
roll.png

Actually, after Nugget hatched hers, I was sort of hoping no one else would go broody this year, especially two first-timers! Here is Zane and Charlotte's daughter, Panda, the newest crazed psycho beach ball.

DCP_1982.jpg

I just went through this with mine. My wyandotte went broody. I gave her 4 EE eggs to hatch. She sat on them for almost 3 weeks. Then, my marans went broody. She insisted that the Wyandotte's nest was the best. Those two girls spent 24 hours sitting on the same batch of eggs in the same nest at the same time.
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

Enough already ! I tried to give the marans a few EE eggs to hatch in a different box, but she was having none of it !
he.gif
he.gif

I read a neat trick on how to break a broody on BYC. It said to place the broody on the perch at night. We did that with the hen that had been broody almost three weeks. We figured we would have a better chance of breaking her than the one who just went broody. Sure enough, 2 nights of doing this and on day 3 she was hanging out with her girlfriends in the yard.

The newest broody got to sit on the eggs for a week and then they hatched. I hope next time she doesn't think it will be such a short incubation period - -
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Ok, we have an epidemic here! My three year old blue Ameraucana, Charlotte, is acting broody now, clucking deep in her throat and puffing up at me in the nest. Nugget is still with the last one of her chicks, who is 8 weeks old,Nora is on Day 9 or so in the main coop, Panda just went broody and now perhaps Charlotte. And when I do not want even one more bird!
he.gif

I dunno, Melissa, but maybe we need a filter of some sort, LOL.

Here is Nora, being sweeter than normal since she's gone broody

DCP_5502.jpg

Here is Charlotte, who is three and a half years old, possibly broody for the first time:

DCP_5501.jpg

Back
Top Bottom