normal behaviour for just hatched chicks?

reyecat

Chirping
13 Years
Apr 1, 2008
OUr first baby hatched this morning. he peeped for a long time and had 1-2 second naps ... now he just seems pooped out and I don't want to take him from the incubator quite yet.... he's sleeping a lot more now. I'm sure it's normal but I just want some reassurance. and maybe some pointers on what would be worrisome behaviour. thanks

Sounds normal to me. Even the second and third can be pretty noisy when they first come out, stretching out those lungs now they aren't all curled up in the egg. Your choice to leave it in there till it is up on it's feet is a good one. Better for the chicks to get their strength back from working hard to get out, better for the unhatched who need that precious humidity in the incubator. Good luck with the rest!

okay.... needing some more help. chicks are only a day old at the oldest.

moved them to the brooder... and they are just sleeping.... right under the lamp is aroun 95 and towards the edges is cooler... they are at the edges and just sleeping and sleeping... not interested in water. they seem lethargic. normal?

If they are sleeping far from the lamp, it is probably a little too warm. Where are you brooding them and how many watts is your heat lamp? You could either trying raising it up higher or going with a lower watt bulb. Typically if they're in the house, a 250 watt bulb is too hot.

Jody

they are acting more normal now... we moved the lamp over so that only part of the box will be 95 and the other half cooler

now the one who hatched in the wee hours has feet that aren't unfurled... he's been hatched for hours and still doesn't look fluffy and he's having more trouble getting around because of his feet.

caf.gif
This post may help with the curly feet...
Congrats on your babies!!! Mine are hatching today too. DH just called and said the 4th one is hatching right now!
yippiechickie.gif

~Rebecca

sorry to be a pain but... which post needmorechickens? I don't see a link or anything.

thanks.... I understand... I'm kindof a zombie today and yesterday too.... these babies keep us hopping don't they?

Back
Top Bottom