Normal Chick behavior

Newtohens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
What is normal chick behavior for the first week? I am new to this and I just want to make sure that I don't miss something and lose any of my girls. They arrived today and they all appear to be doing well. They are drinking and eating and picking through the bedding, but I do have a question about them getting sleepy. It seems like they will just hunker down, close their eyes, lean over and fall asleep. Is this normal? Also anything I should be on the look out for?

they will fall asleep standing up lol.. and they roll over and look dead.. you have to be careful they don't do it while drinking water they can drown.. put stones or marbles in the water to prevent this.. they will actually run around and then suddenly stop and fall asleep.. enjoy your babies!

They will fall asleep at the drop of a hat, in any position! Had one who would sleep flat on its back with feet up in the air! They're babies after all:) If they're eating, drinking, and active, then no worries. Pasty butt is common the first week, so just make sure everyone's butt is clean. Here's my little goofball:

25281_pict0002.jpg

Am I ever glad to see that picture, I thought my little girls were truly odd, but there are others out there that do acrobatics in their sleep! They have been a joy to have around. I have a concern, as my indoor dog has become the Mama hen to this little flock. She watches over them, but now, they act fearless.
roll.png

Our girls were a hoot when they crashed and burned!
lau.gif

Now that they are 2 weeks old they sit on the small limb I brought in for them or they find a spot to nestled in for a nap. Don't find them sleeping lined up in a row or using each other for pillows anymore...how soon our babies grow up!
big_smile.png

Okay -- now that you have some sensible answers, I can give you mine....ANYTHING that is likely to give you a heart attack! LOL such as...jumping up on/off from things that seem WAY too high, sleeping in positions that make you think they are dead, peeping oddly at odd times....Enjoy!

I *love* that pic of the passed-out chickie!

I nearly had a meltdown the first night with chicks in the brooder. I went to peek on them, and they were all passed out facedown in the bedding. I hollered in dismay and they all woke up, of course.

Back
Top Bottom