Normal Comb “Behaviour”?

mccmeadows

Songster
Jul 19, 2021
Oil Springs, ON
I noticed today that one of our pullets’ comb is looking a tad pale. She is NOT acting different (still the coop bully, still loving all the food, laid an egg today, etc). It just appears to be a little lighter than her sisters.

I was wondering if I should be worried or if it can be a normal occurrence with negative temps, very little sunlight and snow?

A bluish looking comb can be a bad sign of a heart problem. But just a pale pink, is a natural reaction to the short days, and long nights. The hormones are falling to match.

In the spring, the combs will redden up, and if you have yellow legged rooster, he will even get a reddish line running up the leg, which a fellow poster told me was like "the sap rising in the spring"

Mrs K

A bluish looking comb can be a bad sign of a heart problem. But just a pale pink, is a natural reaction to the short days, and long nights. The hormones are falling to match.

In the spring, the combs will redden up, and if you have yellow legged rooster, he will even get a reddish line running up the leg, which a fellow poster told me was like "the sap rising in the spring"

Mrs K
Thanks for the info! We do have one yellow legged rooster - a lovely BLRW named Mike. I will be sure to keep my eye on his legs cause that’s super interesting! Here’s a picture of him just because I think he’s pretty 🤗
24452419-93AD-456F-A837-1FD84C06363B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom