Normal Goose Behavior or Should I worry?

He's still looking slow and my kids are worried he's not eating. He's only pecking at romaine again, if he even looks at it. He's not running from me even though it looks like he doesn't want me near him.

He's been out, laying down mostly, in the sun.

I am wondering if he's going to need a feeding boost. Or if we missed something. Or he's ignoring the treats because the girls are eating them.

This is hard :(
I have two ganders that have had illnesses with similar symptoms. One has a pancreatic condition “Parsnip,” and the other “Roxby” has had recurring bouts of enteritis. If it’s an organ health problem that’s a complex issue with various ways you can approach it depending on what it is. With an issue like enteritis it is treatable but can remerge fairly easily.

Your gander could have something like enteritis, often there’s a parasitical element that predisposes the gut to a clostridial infection, worms possibly but more likely its coccidia or giardia, sometimes it will seem like the condition is getting better only for the goose to start regressing again after about a two week incubation period.
It’s also a vicious cycle, you’ll treat the problem but because their guts will still be sore and they’ll be craving nutrients because they’re eating less, so to try to resolve both problems they start eating dirt and reinfect themselves with whatever microbes and parasites caused the problem to begin with. All the while they’re becoming more nutrient deficient and their immune system weakens because of that, limiting their ability to fight off whatever it is and predisposing them to reinfection more easily each time.

You could try putting him on metronidazole and Tylosin for 7 to 10 days. corid or Toltrazuril for coccidia. Tube feed him with extra added vitamins every day for few days or until he starts eating on his own. Clean out his area and sterilize the dirt with bleach “which is only somewhat effective” or designate a new area for him and a friend for the next few weeks that has a concrete floor that can be periodically cleaned or that you can line with a durable tarp or stall pads and cover with wood shavings.

Metronidazole dosage is usually 1 500mg pill a day, twice daily if you see blood in his droppings.

https://birdpalproducts.com/products/metronidasole-fish-capsules-200-mg?_pos=3&_sid=53e70101c&_ss=r

the 500 mg tablets are out of stock anywhere I used to buy, so far I’ve only found them here but I’m not familiar with this site so I don’t know if it’s reputable. https://fishtankantibiotics.com/products/fishbiotic-metronidazole-500mg-30-tablets/

Tylosin 100 powder dosage is 40 mg per kg twice daily, 3 times daily if it’s a severe infection. Don’t bother mixing it with drinking water, it’s horrendously bitter and nothing with taste buds would willingly swallow it.

https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds?_pos=1&_sid=a732d9683&_ss=r

If you don’t have a gram scale to measure out the powder correctly I can show you how much it would look like if packed into a syringe. If you get the dosage wrong Tylosin is very forgiving in birds so overdose isn’t a big deal compared to other medications.

I don't have access to any place like that. We used a dewormer from the vet last week. I can try the Tylosin and I have a kitchen scale with grams

We'll have to tube feed him and cross our fingers.

We tried tube feeding, watered down food, lots of fresh water and none of that helped. He seemed to get a bit better with the warm week then declined again.
We found him weak and unable to stand this morning so I carried him inside thinking he was too cold. He wouldn't drink or eat. We thought his legs and beak were too cold and put him in just above skin temperature water in our laundry tub. The warmth and water perked him up and I saw him dabbling and drinking. We took him out before the water got too cold with electrolyte water, cooked mash food, and on a soft towel in front of a heat vent. His legs were just useless so I put a fluffy towel over his back end to keep him warm.
We watched him dabble, dip his beak in the water but mostly he just looked tired. We decided to tube feed him later after he had a small rest in the quiet, dim laundry room.

Unfortunately I checked on him to find him limp and breathing heavy. He couldn't lift his head. We tried the warm water again for a bit then when he refused to drink we brought him into our room where it's warmest, darkest, and quiet in the master bath. We spent quiet time with him, petted him, set out water and food. Then he struggled to find the bath corner to stick his head in. I tucked a soft towel for him to lean his head on so he wouldn't keep trying to pull it off the tub wall, so it was soft and warm instead. I saw some foamy liquid and guessed it was vomit.

We spoke softly to him and stepped out for a few minutes. We heard a thump and found him passing, gone in a few moments. We're going to let the family bid him good bye and lay him to rest in the morning.

We feel awful for him and wish we knew what happened. He was so sweet.

We tried tube feeding, watered down food, lots of fresh water and none of that helped. He seemed to get a bit better with the warm week then declined again.
We found him weak and unable to stand this morning so I carried him inside thinking he was too cold. He wouldn't drink or eat. We thought his legs and beak were too cold and put him in just above skin temperature water in our laundry tub. The warmth and water perked him up and I saw him dabbling and drinking. We took him out before the water got too cold with electrolyte water, cooked mash food, and on a soft towel in front of a heat vent. His legs were just useless so I put a fluffy towel over his back end to keep him warm.
We watched him dabble, dip his beak in the water but mostly he just looked tired. We decided to tube feed him later after he had a small rest in the quiet, dim laundry room.

Unfortunately I checked on him to find him limp and breathing heavy. He couldn't lift his head. We tried the warm water again for a bit then when he refused to drink we brought him into our room where it's warmest, darkest, and quiet in the master bath. We spent quiet time with him, petted him, set out water and food. Then he struggled to find the bath corner to stick his head in. I tucked a soft towel for him to lean his head on so he wouldn't keep trying to pull it off the tub wall, so it was soft and warm instead. I saw some foamy liquid and guessed it was vomit.

We spoke softly to him and stepped out for a few minutes. We heard a thump and found him passing, gone in a few moments. We're going to let the family bid him good bye and lay him to rest in the morning.

We feel awful for him and wish we knew what happened. He was so sweet.
I’m so sorry! Geese are intelligent and they know when their family is trying to help him, he knew he was loved and cared for, you did all you could.

Back
Top Bottom