Normal Goose Behavior or Should I worry?

EnsignIdonia

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 19, 2014
Genesee County
My gander is acting differently. We don't know if this is just how geese are when they mature or if something has happened.

They were always very friendly, hanging out with us when we were in the yard. The male would even get comfy after awhile, sit practically on our feet, and sometimes we could gently pick him up and place him in our lap. Over time they were less likely to enjoy touching but still sat close to us, hung out near our chairs when we were busy inside. They honk and come over a lot.
Unfortunately with the cold, surgery, and my job I couldn't hang out for hours every day. We still visited them in their very spacious enclosure, gave them toys, plenty of bowls of water, a heated water dish, food, treats, and a spacious house with a light at night. Because of coyote and fox we close them in a secure house at night with food and water.

Lately our boy has seemed "sad". Made himself smaller, doesn't make as much noise as the girls, walks very slow. Just before the snow we had to take him in the house and pull a broken blood feather than wouldn't clot or stop bleeding no matter what we did. I hated to do it because I was afraid he would hate us.

They like to sit at the gate we come and go out of and we worried they were pining. Can anyone tell us what happened? Are they just cold? Will they warm back up to us when spring comes? We tried sitting with them in our snow gear but that didn't seem to be the same for them.

How many geese do you have? how many are ganders?
What breed/s are they?
What are their ages?

For one thing let me say we are coming into breeding season and ganders act differently until breeding season ends.

That will be a year old in June/July so around 8-9 months old
One gander, two girls and they're Pilgrim. The picture of him next to one of the girls is today. The one of just him was in September or so at 3 months old. The recent one is how he is all the time. He was pretty lazy in the summer but seemed more energetic.

Attachments

• 20240129_124948.jpg
    20240129_124948.jpg
    650.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230909_140745.jpg
    20230909_140745.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 16
That will be a year old in June/July so around 8-9 months old
One gander, two girls and they're Pilgrim. The picture of him next to one of the girls is today. The one of just him was in September or so at 3 months old. The recent one is how he is all the time. He was pretty lazy in the summer but seemed more energetic.
I have pilgrims too!! I started with one male and two female goslings. However, one of my females turned out to be male and got rehomed. So now I have a male and a female. Anyway, I’m wondering if he could be sick what does his poop look like ? They’re usually more aggressive in breeding season not acting tired or lethargic . i’m tagging
@Goosebaby she is goose expert

It definitely sounds like he’s sick. How’s his appetite? What do his droppings looks like? Are they mostly watery, are they bubbly, dry and hot, is their mucous in them, have you noticed any unusual colors like all white, or black, red, orange, yellow, neon green, salmon colored?

It definitely sounds like he’s sick. How’s his appetite? What do his droppings looks like? Are they mostly watery, are they bubbly, dry and hot, is their mucous in them, have you noticed any unusual colors like all white, or black, red, orange, yellow, neon green, salmon colored?
I went out and really looked him over from a foot or two away so I didn't scare him. His droppings appear normal, though we see all the geese squirt just watery like urine once in awhile.
His eyes are droopy, his head is low. He's not really throwing his head and splashing like the females. I can hear a bit of raspy in his breaths like someone trying to blow through one of those toy tubes. His eating, movements are very slow.
We are going to bring him into a quarantine area near the house where it is warmer and drier.
We've got them on straw that we refresh or change as it gets wet/soiled with coverage from the elements on three sides. We feed a flock builder that has a good level of niacin and protein.
There's not a close vet for geese/ducks. Now that we can't get antibiotics in feed stores I'm not sure how to treat him.

there are fish antibiotics you can still get like fish mox its ammoxicillan like for people I know there are loads of threads with links on where to get it but Ill have to search and maybe tag ppl like @casportpony

My spouse caught him, which is unusual itself, since he uses a cane and walks very slowly. We brought him into the garage. He doesn't feel thin, can't see any eye gunk or anything on his nares. His feet didn't feel too hot or cold.

Watery poop, a bit green and a bit white.

We feed Kalmbach and the girls aren't showing any lethargy or issues. In fact they're kicking up a racket looking for him and he's honking back a bit.
We will once a week give them romaine lettuce, a few leaves each.

If it’s possible I think you should take him to a vet. It sounds like he may have a serious respiratory infection. If it’s bacterial it will be easier to treat than if it’s a fungal infection.

I also suggest removing the straw and use pine shavings instead. Straw often harbors mites, mold spores, and bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom