Normal neck/spine or illness/deformity???

First of all before you panic or try any type of treatments, remedies, anything like that...
Please...Feel that bump at night when she goes to roost, then go out first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink and re-feel the bump.

Take note if the bump has disappeared and the area is flat, if it's still there but reduced in size - report back with your findings.
I have done this and the size and shape of the "bump" doesn't change. It feels like a bend in her neck/spine, if that makes sense...

Have you held her and parted the feathers to see what the lump looks like? Trying to figure out what a lump looks like by just glancing at feathers is like trying to examine an injury or lesion on a human without asking them to remove their clothing. They did do it that way back in Queen Victoria's time, but a lot of people died because no one wanted to be seen unclothed.

So, what would really help is for you to wet the feathers over this lump, push the wet feather aside so the lump is easy to see, and take a photo of it. Two photos, one a close up and one a shot to show the lump with the entire chicken so we have context.

If this lump isn't the crop, which hangs just to the right side of the chest wall, it may be a breast blister from sleeping on a rough, badly sized perch. It would look like a sore, and would be treated as a healing wound.
I will take these pictures tomorrow when it is light out. <3

So, what would really help is for you to wet the feathers over this lump, push the wet feather aside so the lump is easy to see, and take a photo of it. Two photos, one a close up and one a shot to show the lump with the entire chicken so we have context.
The pictures aren't great, but I tried, and here they are! She was a good gal and just sat on my lap but I had a hard time holding her feathers and taking the pictures at the same time. I didn't want to wet her too much as it is cold outside and I don't own a blow dryer.
The skin is smooth and as near as I can tell, completely normal. No swelling or irritation. The "bump" really seems like it is a bend or curve in her neck. Is that possible? Is it just her body and maybe she is okay?
IMG_20211229_094447395~2.jpg

IMG_20211229_094511484.jpg

IMG_20211229_094724223.jpg

Thank you for getting better pics. It helps. The bulge does not see to be associated with the crop as the crop would be farther to the right on the chest.

A photo is not enough, though. You are there with a 3 D chicken while we're looking at a flat two dimensional image that we can't feel and experiment with. So you need to do that for us.

Feel it with your eyes closed, letting you finger tips do the "seeing". Describe what your fingers "see". You've no doubt eaten cooked chicken. Do you recall what the neck looks and feels like? A sort of honey comb. Try to use words to help us "see" this bulge.

Does it seem to change at all when this chicken eats something? Shape change? Any further bulging? Is she under weight? Is her breast bone sharp and protruding? Is her behavior normal? Is her appetite normal?

Feel it with your eyes closed, letting you finger tips do the "seeing". Describe what your fingers "see". You've no doubt eaten cooked chicken. Do you recall what the neck looks and feels like? A sort of honey comb. Try to use words to help us "see" this bulge.

Does it seem to change at all when this chicken eats something? Shape change? Any further bulging? Is she under weight? Is her breast bone sharp and protruding? Is her behavior normal? Is her appetite normal?
Thank you for looking at the pictures!
It honestly just feels like her little neck bones/vertebrae under skin, pushed forward in a curve. When she stretches her neck straight, the "bump" goes away. When I "pinch" the "bump" between my thumb and pointer finger I am pinching her neck. No fluid, swelling, etc- just her neck. Like she has an "s" shaped neck and the "bump" is the lower curve in the "s".
The only time the shape seems to change is when she straightens up, stretches her neck or sometimes it just doesn't seem to protrude the way she is sitting or standing. I don't know how to tell if she is under weight for sure but I don't think so? Her behavior and appetite seem normal. I can feel her breastbone, but I don't know if it is protruding.
If she is underweight would that show her neck bones more and make it look like a bump?

Are you sure it isn’t just her neck? I’ve seen something similar on other slim, tight-feathered breeds, like modern game bantams.
Both your hens are American gamefowl mixes.

Back
Top Bottom