1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Normal poo/intestinal shedding or coccidiosis?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mel281, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Mel281

Mel281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Minneapolis-ish, MN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mel281

Mar 8, 2014
    Minneapolis-ish, MN
    Anyone? I'm really stressing out about this!

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    A bit of history please? Age? How raised? Feed? How many, how are they housed? Has it been very wet recently? And, most importantly, how are they acting?

My youngsters gave me a bit of a scare about a month ago. But, they were acting fine. They were about 9 weeks old. I took a wait and see approach, and found that it was nothing to worry about. My flock is on fermented fee. It had been quite wet for a few days, but, as I said... all is well.

4. Mel281

Mar 8, 2014
    Minneapolis-ish, MN
    There are 7 chicks, most 2.5 weeks old, but I think I have a week older, and one a week younger. Three of them came on Sunday from a farm hatchery nearby, the other four from a commercial hatchery as day old's. The oldest one is the one that made the last sample. They are housed in a brooder indoors, bedded with straw and paper towels; towels changed once once or more daily. On medicated feed but didn't have it for th first week, and not sure what the farm fed them.

5. Mel281

Mar 8, 2014
    Minneapolis-ish, MN
    Here's a bad picture of the brooder. I don't think they are crowded. [​IMG]

They are acting mostly fine. My EE is sort of making some cute chatty noises, which is new, she's had a couple of sneezes. The RIR has seemed a little more tired, sleeping standing up, not running away from me as much.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  6. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

since you have chicks of different ages from different places, I'd go ahead and treat with Corid just to be safe.

1 person likes this.
  7. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Get them off straw. Straw is treated with pesticide that can harm chicks. As well as straw carries mites. Use just paper towels or shavings. Straw is never good for bedding for any animal.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It doesn't look like cocci poo to me.

You can wait and keep an eye on the chick that's not acting right. maybe some electrolytes might perk her up. If she's not more active in a day or so, a course of Corid isn't going to hurt anything. Follow it with a vitamin/electrolyte supplement to replace the thiamine.

9. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Pleas keep us updated on how they do.

10. JaysGirl

JaysGirl Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    Small town NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by