North Carolina

Aww man is it supposed to be rainy this weekend? My oldest son is supposed to meet his "real dad" Saturday... I was hoping we could spend some time outside

Good Morning happy chicken people!! I hope you have a fantastic day!! I promise to try and do diapers today since there is a call for rain this weekend...that way the rain can hit today and our weekend can be nice!! LOL...it was a thought!! LOL
Oh please dont do diapers today! I am working on fencing the rest of the run, so my babies can move out of the brooder box.

lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

So I just picked up my babies and I feel like a student who studied for weeks for an exam and now that test day is here, my mind is blank. They seem to be doing well so far.

What should I keep an eye out for?

Any tips you wish you had known when you first started out?

My husband says I'm freaking out for no reason, but they're just so **** cute, I want to make sure they're as healthy and happy as can be!
Pasty butt. I use plain yogurt with crumble on it to help them digestively.

I've tried giving my little gals yogurt in hopes of getting some probiotics in them. Does anyone know if I can just spinkle and acidophilus capsule on their feed instead?
You could, but yogurt will get you further in the long run, imo. They may not like anything new at first, but give them time and they'll be flinging it everywhere.
gig.gif

hit.gif
Experienced a case of Sudden Chicken Death (SCD) today. DH was home because I had my testing and heard a commotion outside...he thought the roosters might be fighting (they would "argue" over their favorite girl) and went outside to check...he found my beautiful BSL Rooster (NoName) dead under the clothesline. There were no other birds near him, no visible wounds, no mites, nothing to alert us to something being wrong. I am tempted to do a necropsy....but then I wouldn't know what to look for anyway. He was absolutely fine yesterday, this morning too. NOTHING out of the ordinary that would suggest he wasn't feeling up to par - or that something was wrong. We had planned to use him as our meat bird "stud" too. I am very saddened because he was a great rooster! He was very diligent about alerting to EVERY possible disturbance (even my bag of clothespins) and he doted on his girls. RIP NoName, you will be missed!!
hit.gif
hugs.gif

I am going to Raleigh tomorrow. I'm looking for guinea eggs to hatch. Anyone in the Raleigh area got any to get rid of?
I know a guy in Tarboro (I know it's a bit from Raleigh, but it's not across state at least) who has guinea eggs in the bator, fwiw. Let me know if you are interested, and I'll contact him.

Last edited:
Good morning folks
frow.gif

the warm weather lately has been a very
pleasant change and I'm loving the longer
daylight hours in the evenings. So much of
the year I leave home for work in the dark
and get home in the dark and it nice to be
able to see the burst of spring in light.

hope your day is a good one
pop.gif
I second that motion of more daylight. I also leave work when its dark; very refreshing to come outside of the large metal building with all of the artificial light and let the sunshine hit your forehead. Love the spring!

Back
Top Bottom