North Carolina

Hi everyone! Long time no talk. After the move...everything has sucked. I still can't find a job. And we are officially living in the RV at my parents now. Great. I swear I would rather live in the woods. DH stays gone because its like everything we do somebody has something to say about it. BAH HUM BUG! I'm so freakin ready to get away from here. One another note!!!! My chickens...7 and 8 months now are still not giving me any eggs. Urgh! It's so frustrating. I give them a mixture of things to eat. Grain corn scratch vegetables and fruit and the occasional treat of leftover bread but get real! Why aren't they laying yet?
sad.png
hope everyone is well and doin great! Missed u guys! Lol

When you move a chicken it can take them a month or so to get into laying again. So possibly that could be why they haven't laid if you moved around the time you were getting ready to start? They could also feed off of stress like other animals do.
Also some breeds lay later than others.
Are you sure of their age (like did you buy them as older chicks and someone told you their age or did you have them from day old chicks).
You could check for symptoms of being egg bound (I lost an EE that never started laying and deducted from info on here she was probably egg bound)

Hey guys I have a question--

Someone told me in heat like this not to rest mail order eggs because they could have started incubating during travel?
I usually rest them at room temp for like 12 hours and then put them in.
Also this seller apparently shipped a day early, the other eggs are showing a delivery estimate of tomorrow (from NC) and the third were supposed to go out express shipping this morning from NC so should be here tomorrow, saturday at the latest, but they've yet to give me a tracking number or respond to my email.

Obviously I'd like them to all go in at once, but don't want to lose eggs fertility by sitting too long.
Not factoring in that my eggs arrival is now staggered, do you still rest when they arrive in hot temps???
(You figure Louisiana to here over the past few days I'm sure it was in the 90s most the time...)

BHep-- How do you grow wheat? Like in a field and keep re-planting it all year? I would love to grow wheat, but have no idea where to start or how to get seeds.

DST-- Charlotte is a good 3hrs from me
sad.png

Lindz-- CUTE chicks!!!! I've never had a broody hen so take my words with a grain of salt, but I would think if she's letting them eat with the other chicks that she has accepted them? I've heard of other people adding chicks and the mama hen murdering them right away. So if they're still alive, I think it would be a good sign? But what do I know...

Dutchbunny- Are you by any chance going to the chicken swap this weekend?

And can anybody tell me where it happens to be?

Last edited:
When you move a chicken it can take them a month or so to get into laying again.  So possibly that could be why they haven't laid if you moved around the time you were getting ready to start?  They could also feed off of stress like other animals do.
Also some breeds lay later than others.
Are you sure of their age (like did you buy them as older chicks and someone told you their age or did you have them from day old chicks).
You could check for symptoms of being egg bound (I lost an EE that never started laying and deducted from info on here she was probably egg bound)

Def not egg bound. We got them when they were 3 days old to 1 week old from a friend of a friend. So I am pretty sure of the age. And they are different breeds. I love them either way but I would think not laying is a sign of something else.

Dutchbunny- Are you by any chance going to the chicken swap this weekend?

And can anybody tell me where it happens to be?

No too far from me
But I don't think it's all that far from Charlotte, maybe an hour further west
I'll google it...

edit: It's in Lincolnton, NC. Can't get an address, but google maps looks like it's almost an hour northwest of Charlotte.
8 hour round trip for me, so not going :(

Last edited:
My COOP runneth over!

25 chicks going into a room in the INN...new coop...29 in lock down...50 in incubator yes a few are double stacked....14 under broody hen and 5 put in hold from today with probably more tomorrow plus I need to contact my new friend about another dozen or so...

I am a batorholic

Wow, it's been sometime since I have been on BYC. Hope all is well with everyone and their chicks. I've been busy closing down my daycare and began teaching else where. I'm pleased to announce that I finally got a blue egg from my 27 week old EE. I originally thought she was laying brown eggs but I guess she was just taking her time. I now have all five girls laying. I've sold a few dozen eggs and couldn't be more thrilled with my girls and how amazing each one is.

* our first EE egg laid last week.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

I have managed to make it to the last day of the week
but there will be no rest for me because somehow I have
managed to work up a busy weekend............good thing
I think being busy is what keeps a body youngish or at
least mobile
lau.gif

hope everyone has a good Friday
ya.gif

Back