North Carolina

Hi All, been over a week since I have been able to check back here. We are now have 9 lovely ladies. We got four more that are about 6 months old last Saturday. I think they are all adjusting well and we were able to let them out and roam the yard starting Wed night. Only thing now is waiting for the 6 months to start laying. As I understand there can be an adjustment period with the move? They seem to be happier now that we let them out in the evening and I read about their crowns being red as oppose to pale. Two of the 6 month old's crowns are bright red now and the other two keep darkening each day. The lady we got them from said they were laying, but she had about 100 chickens and multiple coop set-ups, so not sure how she knew for sure. Anyone else have any advice? I do realize this is probably covered somewhere on the forum, but it has been a busy week and I haven't been able to search. For now though we are enjoying them so much!

Thanks a bunch.
JollieChick

Hi All, been over a week since I have been able to check back here. We are now have 9 lovely ladies. We got four more that are about 6 months old last Saturday. I think they are all adjusting well and we were able to let them out and roam the yard starting Wed night. Only thing now is waiting for the 6 months to start laying. As I understand there can be an adjustment period with the move? They seem to be happier now that we let them out in the evening and I read about their crowns being red as oppose to pale. Two of the 6 month old's crowns are bright red now and the other two keep darkening each day. The lady we got them from said they were laying, but she had about 100 chickens and multiple coop set-ups, so not sure how she knew for sure. Anyone else have any advice? I do realize this is probably covered somewhere on the forum, but it has been a busy week and I haven't been able to search. For now though we are enjoying them so much!

Thanks a bunch.
JollieChick

You're right, there can be an adjustment time that can last for a month or so. They can even lay a few eggs that are in the "shoot" so to say and than stop.

DTS I thought I seen yellowish legs on the hen. But with the lack of white ear lobes, the messy pattern, and the odd leg color on the hen (which could all be due to age) I was thinking that they might be mixed campines. Watch for the ear lobes to turn white and the hens leg color. They are pretty either way.

Quote:
Here I got a picture of their feet for you.

Does the color of their feet mean something?
I know that the SOP is the end-all be-all of chicken formation and feathering and such...but I would love it if someone could suggest a book a little less "intense"? I would like a book about breeds that lets me know specifics about stuff I have no idea about. What color are the legs on a Welsummer? Does an Orpington lay white eggs or brown? How many toes should a faverolle have? I know all that can be found on here but i really like books and my laptop doesn't feel the same. Anyone have any recommendations?

I know that the SOP is the end-all be-all of chicken formation and feathering and such...but I would love it if someone could suggest a book a little less "intense"? I would like a book about breeds that lets me know specifics about stuff I have no idea about. What color are the legs on a Welsummer? Does an Orpington lay white eggs or brown? How many toes should a faverolle have? I know all that can be found on here but i really like books and my laptop doesn't feel the same. Anyone have any recommendations?

The SOP is a really great book for this stuff. But there are a few others that might have some of this stuff in them. Pocketful of poultry comes to mind, but it doesn't have that many breeds in it. I know Henderson's chicken chart on the internet has some good information on it and some websites to pages on the different breeds.

Yes an easter egger (Arucana?) and I am near Asheboro (between Asheboro and Greensboro)

Araucanas are rumpless (have no tail) and are either clean faced or tufted. Ameraucanas come in only 8 certain colors and are tailed and muffed/bearded. EE's (easter eggers) are a mix breed that lays blue or green eggs and can look like anything.

Hatcheries sell ee's as americanas/ araucanas thus alot of chicks, eggs, and birds on Craig's list are sold as the wrong thing because people just don't know, or if they know they don't care.

One easy way to know if the breeder has true ameraucanas is to ask what color they are. If they can't give you a certain color(s) out of the 8 ameraucana colors than they are ee's. Araucanas will have no tail, so easy to see that on older birds. On chicks you can feel that there is no tail nub there.

Hope this helps.
big_smile.png

That was good info so I should say he is an easter egger... gotcha. Yea I bought him and 15 other chicks from Southern States in June. Thank you so much for the accurate description.

Back
Top Bottom